Temperature & Salinity

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

saltyrenee

Aquarium Advice Newbie
We have just added uncured LR and I am wondering what is the preferred temperature and salinity for a reef tank? My LFS has recommended 78d but I have read mid to high 80s. Interesting about SG my deep six shows a range of 1.020-1.023 and I have read 1.024-1.025. Needless to say this can be confusing. Thanks to anyone who responds with their info.

I maintain a salinity level of 1.025, but I have read anywhere between 1.023 - 1.025 is the optimal range. My temp is 80 degrees when the lights are off and climbs to about 82 degrees with lights on (2- 175 MH and 2-65 watt smart lite PC)
all seem happy with this temp. no algae blooms but my refugium might have alot to do with that. 75 gal. reef 20 gal. sump & 15 gal. refugium.
We just had two days in the mid 80's here in NJ that sent my tank to 86 degrees I turned off the MH and opened the cabinet to blow a fan on it. only ill effects was to my colt coral which has withdrawn don't know if it was really the heat or something else. IMOP I would try to not let your temp go over 82 degrees. good luck

I try to maintain my tank at 1.024 SG and 78 degrees before lights come on. And under 82 with lights on.

79F and no issues - although I had to buy a chiller in order to keep it at that since without one it would not drop frmo 85-86, if I put the lights on, 88-90!

Lost a couple of fish to it, a very nice emperor I had for sometime :(

So be careful - since I have a chiller I have the luxury of experimenting, and 79-80 seems to work the best for me, at 77-78 my koran seems to loose some of it's colors, as I guess it's too cold for him, after raising 1-2 degrees, it's back to normal with vibrant colors.

80- 81 here and 1.023, not looking forward to summer here, although our spring has been strange so who knows how warm it will get and how it will affect the tank :?

Back
Top Bottom