Temperature reduction= no more bryopsis?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

needmorecowbell

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've had Bryopsis for about 6 months now and I have tried nearly everything to get rid of it. Over Christmas, we had a big snow in Pennsylvania and my tank heater couldn't handle it. The temp went down to 74-75 and the corals weren't happy. One suffered from necrosis. I've noticed that all of my bryopsis is gone though? I had a lot, and it disappeared in a week. I didn't do anything else to the tank, not even a water change... Is this a new cure for bryopsis??

I had some red stuff on my sand, temp was 79.5 most of the time. Got a chiller, set at 76. It's all gone?

I had some red stuff on my sand, temp was 79.5 most of the time. Got a chiller, set at 76. It's all gone?

Thats cyanobacteria not byosis.

Byposis is incredibly hard to get rid of... Im dealing with it at the lfs where I work. Ive raised mag, etc pulled it all off +raised mag... temp I might try next if it worked for you.

I'm in the process of battling it some now and I'm not having to hard of a time doing so. You just have to out compete it for resources. I've added phosphate removers, switched to feeding twice a week and more frequent chaeto trimmings along with slightly larger water changes. I still have a lot of it in my tank right now but you can see that its growing slower and slower everytime I clean it out. The key is nutrient control.

One thing I've noticed though is that this stuff is brutal on palys... Also to touch on the main subject. I am running my tank around 74* now with it being winter and the temp changes doesn't seem to effect any of my algaes

I'm thinking it might of been the sudden change that killed it then. I've tried nutrient reduction.. I went fishless for 3 months with vigorous water changes. I'm just glad it's completely gone lol.

Back
Top Bottom