Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-06-2019, 07:13 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

"Temporary" tank for merging Autumnsky's 2 SW nanos

2 nano tanks need to combine this week. My 12G Mr. Aqua rectangle shape tank, and a 6.6G Edge tank.

This is "temporary" until I find the right deal on a nicer SW 35 Gallonish tank.

My options were a 20G long /20G H or my 46G Bowfront.

Just for the ease of care for 3 fish I picked the 46G bowfront. It is a nice looking tank and just sitting in my living room empty.

I need to make RO water for the tank. I have some salt / been buying prepared SW from the store because I don't need much of it.

Also I have a 36" basic light for the tank a Beamswork blue white.

And a too long 48" Orbit Marine used by someone for only a few months before they got a new tank.

Also rather not make an algae farm out of the tank either.

My only other light for SW atm is a PAR 38W.

Last night picked up a 20G bag of CaribSea Alive Black Hawaiian sand and already had some maybe 20 lbs in the 12G. Reg. 29.99 for $16.19 Love price matching. Need one more bag I think since I am using a bigger tank (was gonna be a 20G) than initially thought.

Also side note I have a Rubbermaid tote still cycling 50 lbs of rock since early fall. (6 - 7 months maybe). Feeding it fish food every week or 2. Was better about feeding it months ago Feel like for 3 months was very good at that. Last few winter months not as good. So maybe not a super good bacteria colony.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Living things

Fish
2 Blue Green Chromis and
Should I get a bunch

one 5+ yellow Clown Goby.
Would like a few more in time

Corals
Just a hand full of corals
Yellow Polyps Colony 1 small, 1 medium
Cabbage Leather sm-med
Rock Flower Anemone
Couple Duncan Frags
3-4 surviving heads of Frogspawn
Couple Pinwheels polyps
Double Blue Scroll Chalice frag
Purple and orange Lepestrea frag
Red Flower pot Frag back from thought to be dead
Tiny Purple and Green Fungia/Plate Coral size of a dime

A bunch of heads of the Electric Green Candy Cane that was dying and threw off all the tops (anyone know what I can do for them) now they are just laying around the tank little bright green dots. We had a sad period with the alk being too low.

I think there is a mushroom or 2 but not positive if it is hiding or dead.

Plants
A big bunch of Black Codium,
A decent size ball and a smaller clump of Chaetomorpha

Inverts
Mexican Turbo snails 2-3
Handful of nassarius snails
2 Nerites
Dwarf Planaxis some, they are so tiny
Limpets who knows, I see them on the glass all the time.
Dwarf Ceriths a few
Zig Zag Periwinkles Most were eaten by Hermits I think
Maybe a couple of Hermits
Tiny Feather dusters /tubes the size of a pencil lead

Had a small Blue Banded Coral shrimp (gets~1 inch) Always hiding too.

and a regular color Pistol shrimp (which I always would think was dead but would find him in his home under the rocks the past 3-4 tank changes (several years). It has been so long I would think he passed away by now.

Haven't seen the last Sexy shrimp or the Pom Pom crab for a long while.

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now -5G Spec V Snails & Betta
Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 07:55 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Hi Autumn! I remember you! **wave**

Good start and very thorough! If it's temporary I wouldn't worry too much about the sand bed depth and volume. I tried the balck sand a long time ago and found it to be very abrasive with my magfloat among other things. looks awesomethough doesn't it? lol

As far as the candycanes, if they have dropped their heads they are done. I tried to pick them up one and corral them into a little tub and they just evnetually melted. If there is no flesh left on the stalks them it's game over. :-(

Good luck with your new adventure!

180g- Mostly BIG fish and some coral. ~80g Nuvo- My coral tank with "happy fish"~ 90g- FOWLR Not the not happy type of fish~ 125g- Freshwater Malawi Cichlids ~10g- Nuvo- The refugees from the Ich of '18
carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 11:54 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Where have you been!?!?!?!

Long time no "see". Wonderful to have you chime in on this issue! Thank you for
helping me out!

So I was (already pulled in the parking lot when your message was seen) at the lfs to get the Black Hawaiian sand.

When I got to the spot where the sand WAS yesterday, there was none. Checked in with the associate and they were out until next week or so.

So, because of your comment about the scratchiness of the sand (and yes black looks awesome and don't see poops and stuff as much) I went with the CaribSea Arag-Alive! Bahamas Oolite. Typical Size: 0.25 - 1.0mm

I like the chunky pink shells too might add some in on the permanent build later.

My 6.6G nano is Garnet Sand which I also really enjoy. 12G is the Hawaiian Black. So NEW sand will be a change and fun to see how I like it.

LFS said to bring back the other sand for a refund.

So here goes, going to add some water and salt to correct salinity with the sand and if enough time will add the cycling live rock.

Need to do more to wipe the messiness from inside of the tank. Not super dirty but not great. Seems to have some bad evap residue at the top. Rolling up the sleeves time!

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?

Community Rules

FW & SW
Old 04-07-2019, 02:11 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Got the most of the rock in, and mixed my own salt in 5G buckets.

Now 2/3 full, I have a cloudy tank. Will add the clear up liquid tomorrow.

A bunch of the rock has some algae on some side as they were sitting under the deck and but in winter the light hit the just enough. I turned a tub over and to block it a month or 2 ago. Scrubbed off a bunch of them will see what's up maybe just let the tank sit dark for a week.

Realized I need a background. The last background on this tank was a black trash bag!

Community Rules

FW & SW
Old 04-07-2019, 06:48 PM   #5
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Paint it with a flat black and be done with it.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 07:07 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Will Porcelain Crabs get along/coexist with Pom Pom Crabs and Sexy shrimp?

EDIT: and the pistol shrimp if he still lives and or the tiny 1" Blue Banded Coral Shrimp...

It seems from online seller Reef Cleaners, that they kind of keep to themselves in a group.
(and no Peppermint shrimp, lol)

Any knowledge / thoughts about this combo?

I think I will paint it the background.

Water is halfway cleared /only using a bubbler overnight, water was too low to hook up the hob filter. Adding more water and the heater, then a filter.

Community Rules

FW & SW
Old 04-07-2019, 08:37 PM   #7
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

I don't think any of those little critters will cause any issues with each other.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 03:40 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Thank you.

Added the rest of the water into the tank.

BUT one more problem, couldn't find the intake for the 110 Aqua Clear HOB. Ordered the 2 pieces - will be here in 2 days.

Whilst looking for a misc extra filter and or tube in the storage closet spent an hour or so lightly reorganizing the fish stuff mess. Throwing away some bags and empty boxes too.

Thinking I am currently using all the smaller ones HOB filters. Might have to steal one of the 2 off of the QT, just to clear it up.

Heater is running well and water temp is good. Just so bummed out it isn't clear right now.

I am using Aquavitro Salinity. Got it for a deal awhile back and read some people had a cloudiness issue. The 4 - 5G buckets I mixed today with warm water were clear after a couple hours. My tank is cloudy again kicking up all the silty particles. But a filter should fix that.

Found a polishing filter pad and plenty of bulk filter to help clear it up, maybe use that.

The little extra filter on the QT is a AC 50 - might just throw that on for a day or 2.

Community Rules

FW & SW
Old 04-08-2019, 03:44 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

This a pic of some, but there are about 12 heads of the old Candy Cane.

These have been around for a few weeks. Wish I could go back in time. To have caught the error before it was too late.

Community Rules

FW & SW
Old 04-14-2019, 02:18 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Update here is got the sand and stones in the 46G temporary SW tank.

Emptied the 12G nano, Fish coral and rocks IN!!!

Moved the Black Codium into the tank from the 6.6G. Had to do A LOT of fuzzy algae removal from some edges. Overall it could have been worse...

Got the AquaClear 110 intake tube from the online order. AND found the top part in a misplaced box so can keep or return the new one. Hooking that up Sunday.

Haven't decided what media to use in it. Figure for now just some filter floss and sponges.

Can't remember if I mentioned it or not but it has the AC50 Put a pouch of Phosguard in it.

Also still have the AC20 running which I will take off when I put on the AC110.

Emptied the 12G Mr Aqua rectangle nano and got the SW tank sand into a tote to dry out. Might use it for house plants.

Wiped off a bunch of algae with baking soda and my hands in the tank. Couldn't find my fish tank magic eraser. It is the heavy duty one and I just had it last week. It now needs a cleaning to sparkle a

The 2 Blue Green Chromis seem to be very happy with all the swim room. Poor guys, they were supposed to move 6 months ago.

So This leaves me with the 6.6G

Moved some rubble rock already and the Codium and there are mostly a 3 larger stones buried pretty heavy in the sand.

I will be looking for my 2 crabs. So I will leave the rock I think the Pistol shrimp is under for last.

Anyone ever add a few more Chromis to their tank - How did it go?

I think I have 2 males because they are so blue. But was thinking of 4 or 5 more of them. 1 male and 4 females or just 4 females. I keep reading how peaceful they are and get along in groups. But have a pecking order.

The reason I only have 2 was because there were only these two left. Clerk saying that their would be another shipment the next week. But they came in sick or dead / unsaleable. Then read a pair is good but after reading more and more now that they are older, I think they must be 2 males. They tolerate, chase and hang around each other. Any thoughts?

Then the big thing is locating the Current Orbit with ramp timer. I do need the timer but not sure where it is in my mess of boxes.

Community Rules

FW & SW

Tags
nano, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com