Temps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gozetec02

Aquarium Advice Activist
The temp in my aquarium goes as high as 82 during the day. I the glass type thermometer that sticks to the glass on the inside of the tank. I have it near the bottom of the tank. I removed the heater long ago because of this but the temp never drops below 80. The fish seem to be ok the water levels are normal.

Are these temps too high?

78-79 to me is ideal with 84 being the max i would go. If you can hold it at 82 you will be fine. Just make sure you have good circulation because as temps rise oxygen levels fall.

I got the powerfilter and that creats some current and I also have one of those power heads that move back and forth (forgot what they were called). 82 Seems to be the highest it gets. I have one of those plastic hoods from ALL-glass. Could the heat from the light make the temp go up. The light is completely enclosed in the hood with some vents at the top. Lots of heat come out of the vents.

you should not remove your heater. you should set it to 81 degrees. this will fix your temp between 81 and 82.

The water has been around 80 since the tank cycled about 4 months ago. I live in south Texas. The temp in my apartment never dips below 75. I have gotten up in the middle of the night and the temp is still 81 or so. I will put the heater back in if i notice that it drops below 78 but I don't think that will happen. I need to get a different heater anyway.

a 2 degree difference if it occurs on a regular basis will be enough to stress some fish and corals. A 4 degree difference can spell problems when it comes to the overall health of the fish. The reason to have the heater in there and set for something like 81 or even 80 is to stabilize the temperature. The heater wont run unless the temp gets below the level its set at so having it in there wont increase the temp of the tank at all. Well unless either the heater themostat or the thermoter is off. but if thats the case then just adjust the heater based on the thermoter. Living in south TX you might never need one or if you do it would be on the rare winter night that it gets cool,

Take it from me, temp swings (the risk of) can lead to dead things. Lost a simple tiger star (sand sifter) but he was sooo cool. He dead now cause I let the temps swing about 4 degress for a month or so. Didnt realize the heater was f00bar.

Back
Top Bottom