Ten Turbo Snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flow863

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just added ten turbo snails to my 27 gallon cube
Hope they keep my glass nice and clean ^_^

ForumRunner_20120424_224732.jpg

Honestly I'm not sure, hopefully someone with more experience will chime in soon. But I had 4 turbos in my 24g and ended up getting rid of 2 because they bulldoze through everything, such as new frags.

Definitely some of those look like astrea snails. Turbos can get very large too. I think 10 may be a lot if they were all turbos.

I have 3 large turbos ( a little larger than a golfball) and they keep around 80% of the algae in my 47g tank mowed. I could probably do one more, but three do fine, and actually rearrange anything that's not tied down.

A turbo snail getting a piggy back ride on another snail
Lol

ForumRunner_20120425_120939.jpg

Try to supplement with algae such as seaweed of flakes, or pellets. Unfortunately, I don't have that many in my 220 because (I'm not a fan of them knocking frags everywhere) I have plenty of other members of my CUC that are smaller and get the job done.

Oh yes- and +1 on them being astreas. Astreas are cone shaped whereas turbos are spherical.

Flow863 said:
I woke up to one frag in the sandbed -_____-

Astreas can do it as well- just not as often that I've noticed. It's time to buy coral affix. The stuff works great. In fact- better than any other glue or clay that i have used. Secure your drags once you find their happy spot!

You can get it cheaper by just getting super glue gel at Home Depot. Coral-Affix is more because it has a picture of a coral on the bottle.

Lol
Will any super glue gel be good?
I dont wanna kill my reef inhabitants
=(

Yep any will do, just make sure its gel. I've used a couple different brand and they all worked great. Just put a big glob on and hurry and stick it in place. You may have to kinda twist or rub it into the rock to break the thin outer layer of glue that cures when it hits the water. Then hold it on for a second and your good!

Flow863 said:
What is better
Epoxy or Gel glue?

I believe it's personal preference IMO. I've use both and live the epoxy a lot better. I can roll it into a ball and just press down where ever I want to place it. Just harder to get off. It's like cement. Wasn't impressed with the coral glues or other type of gel glues. That's just me...

Can't say, I've always used gel super glue. I'd imagine epoxy would work good though because its pretty thick and dries rock hard

Back
Top Bottom