Terrible loss

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

artur

Aquarium Advice Freak
I ordered Cleaning Crew for my 125 reef tank. 60 snails, 10 Scarlet Crabs, some Limpets and Mangrows for my huge. Hate that weather. It was 64 on Tuesday. 48 hours later it is 5 degrees. Got my shipment today. 10 snails alive and 2 Limpets. Thats all. All Scarlets dead,50 Snails, 3 Limpets. :(:(:( I feel so bad. When I touched bags with water they were ice called!!!!! But my question is about Mangrows. They were shipped with no water. Never had them before. You think they still ok?. If yes, how do I put them in my fuge? Just stick into the sand? Can put them in display too, right? They look nice. Im worrying if they survive. Don't want to poison my tank. Here are the picks. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMAG0446.jpg
    IMAG0446.jpg
    253.4 KB · Views: 214
  • IMAG0447.jpg
    IMAG0447.jpg
    253.8 KB · Views: 146
  • IMAG0448.jpg
    IMAG0448.jpg
    252.5 KB · Views: 149
Where did you order from and how long between delivery and opening the package?

I just ordered from liveaquaria and I will be home for the package - I just hope it is not too cold in this NYC weather we are having!

I was home when they brought it. From Reef Cleaners. Like I said its 5 outside, with wind -15.

man that is super unfortunate -

Mangroves are super strong and are probably ok - they can be put in the sand of either the fuge or DT, but it is important to let them grow out of the water level inorder to get leaves.

When leaves begin to fall - make sure you remove from tank, or all of the mangrove benefit will be gone with decay.

Have the top of them out of the water at least two inches. You can wedge them between some rocks to get them higher they root on to the rocks.they usually bob up and down in the water.

I would suspend the mangroves so they can sprout the roots they are known for!

artur said:
I ordered Cleaning Crew for my 125 reef tank. 60 snails, 10 Scarlet Crabs, some Limpets and Mangrows for my huge. Hate that weather. It was 64 on Tuesday. 48 hours later it is 5 degrees. Got my shipment today. 10 snails alive and 2 Limpets. Thats all. All Scarlets dead,50 Snails, 3 Limpets. :(:(:( I feel so bad. When I touched bags with water they were ice called!!!!! But my question is about Mangrows. They were shipped with no water. Never had them before. You think they still ok?. If yes, how do I put them in my fuge? Just stick into the sand? Can put them in display too, right? They look nice. Im worrying if they survive. Don't want to poison my tank. Here are the picks. Thanks.

Sorry that sucks.. no heating packs with shipment? Mangroves don't need to be in water as long as they were shipped with damp newspaper around them. They are plants and when placed in the dark they will go dormant.

That's the shippers fault. they should have mailed them with a heat pack and a styro container.

+1 on styro and heat pack.
Id ask for a refund or for them to ship out replacements.

That's the shippers fault. they should have mailed them with a heat pack and a styro container.

I've dealt with reefcleaners several times and have had email conversations with John Maloney regarding shipping. They always pack everything very well using styrofoam and multiple heat packs. In addition there are warnings on the site and on the specific pages for certain livestock warning about shipping the items and making sure that you will receive them the next day. I know for a fact that the scarlet hermits have this warning. The op's location is NOT a next day delivery for express mail out of FL so it isn't suprising that there was loss.

That being said John is a really fair guy and wouldn't be suprised if he worked with you, but you may have to wait till it's warmer.

Interesting first post. I didn't know they shipped livestock with 2 day shipping. I take back my original statement and then say that if I was ordering live creatures through the mail, I would certainly want them shipped overnight. If not, I would have to assume responsibility for anything that may happen as a result.

I've been lurking here for awhile reading using my iphone. I've especially enjoyed your lighting thread which I have been following closely.

I saw this post and registered so I could respond. I'm not associated with reefcleaners but I have ordered from them in the past and gotten good advice from them.

I've only been doing saltwater for about 4 months, I'm a member over on reef2reef.com under the same handle (JonathanG).

Sorry for the thread hijack.

I ordered from reefcleaners a few weeks ago. I had overnight shipping because of some of my items. I had several different hermits and snails, chitons, Brittle star and limpets. Weather was freezing here but not -5. They sent most things with no water but explained why so I was happy. I think only one chitin was DOA but they sent me 5 and I only ordered 2. They supplied 1 heat pack but the order was in a regular cardboard box. I highly recommend them and would use them again. Sorry about your loss.

Thanks for all your posts. That was overnight shipping. Sorry for confusion. I ordered that, Monday really late. They shiped it Wednsday and I got it Thursday. It is what it is. It was overnight because Scarlets and Limpets. It was in regular carton box with heating pads. But like I said they were cold to touch and water freezing cold. I don't complain, I got a hold of shipper and get my refund. No hard feelings. Mangrows look ok, I think, I will watch them closely. They were shiped in Zip plastic bag.

I just described temperature swing from Tuesday to Thursday. Never said it wasn't overnight. Sorry again for confusion.

Back
Top Bottom