Territorial Clownfish Pairing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IchthyChris

Aquarium Advice Regular
Thought I should post my experience in case anyone is having the trouble I did.

I bought a mated pair of gold striped maroons and after a couple months the male jumped out of the tank during a water change. I didn't find him until it was too late. Sad face. I saw a sale online for these guys and decided to try a replacement. I requested a smaller one but got one the same size as my female. I thought I'd give it a shot, but long story short, they nearly killed each other. So now I have yet another tank to house my new purchase... A month later I was at (don't judge me) a Pet-Co that carried saltwater fish. The gold stripes were sold out, but they had a white striped maroon with interesting markings for cheep! ...and he was the right size so I got him. I floated him in the tank and Ms. Maroon was curious but circled the bag and that was it. I let the little guy into the tank and BAM! It was on. Poor dude was trying to submit but she was not having it. I returned him to the safety of his bag...

-light bulb!-

I set up the 5g quarantine tank with no hiding spaces and nothing that could be deemed "territory" unless she decided to claim ownership to the heater... I had a mesh divider wall ready just in case.

I acclimated them in their own bags and let them go at the same time. They swam straight for each other and I thought this will never work. She's just not into White Stripes. Musical taste aside... there was no darting for fins or belly flop submission. They slowly circled around each other then parted to explore (...please don't claim the heater!). They then swam back to the middle, circled again, then they were side by side exploring the small empty space. This morning I turned on the lights to see if she decided to eat him after all. It seams they have both laid claim on the heater as they were huddled up in an orange, gold, and white striped ball in the corner under the warm glow of the heater light.

In unfamiliar territory, they paired up in a matter of minutes! There was nothing to defend and too much confusion to run away. The only thing familiar in the tank was each other. Awwwwe.

This is just my experience. It's not quite scientific fact, but it seems pretty conclusive. Hope this helps anyone that is considering finding a friend for Nemo. Make sure they are different sizes and if not introduced to your display tank at the same time, introduce them both to a completely new environment.

Chris

Less than 24 hours later they are back in the display tank and are BFFs. The male is even occasionally doing the shaky shaky do me display dance for her. Now I have to buy them a nem.

Back
Top Bottom