Test Kit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nobody1973

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all. I was just wondering if you could help me out with this. I pretty new to the whole salt water thing and was wondering what the best test kit is? I really need to pick one up in the next 2 days (wanting to start stocking with fish) Anyway, I was at one of the lfs and all they had was a Red Sea one. Is this any good? Any help with this would be great. Thanks alot!!!!!

I use Hagen and Salifert. Salifert being the best choice IMO.

I have had good results from these...

I bought a Red Sea when I got back into the hobby, and I have to say I was not impressed with it... The tests were very inaccurrate.. I waited to long, and finally contacted Red Sea about the inaccuracy and found that my box had no expiration stamped on it.. After talking to them, the tech advised that the test could have been old and thus the bad readings...

The other thing about their test kits I didn't like was, the tests are too general in levels. For instance the ALK test just gives "high, normal, and low". The colors are hard to read also...anyway, I could go on and on, just to say that I would not recommend it...

I bought a Red Sea when I got back into the hobby, and I have to say I was not impressed with it... The tests were very inaccurrate.. I waited to long, and finally contacted Red Sea about the inaccuracy and found that my box had no expiration stamped on it.. After talking to them, the tech advised that the test could have been old and thus the bad readings...

The other thing about their test kits I didn't like was, the tests are too general in levels. For instance the ALK test just gives "high, normal, and low". The colors are hard to read also...anyway, I could go on and on, just to say that I would not recommend it...
I had the Same Issue and My test kit Expired in like 2010.. I would never use Red Sea Test kits not would I suggest anyone Else to use them..
Salifert being the best choice IMO.

I have had good results from these...
I agree With the Salifert.. I would use nothing but SAlifert and In worse case Scenario use SEachem.. Both IMO are extremely Reliable and would trust my Fishys on their product.. I wont say this about any other test kit product..

HTH,
James

I agree with James. Salifert and Seachem are the ones to use. I like the Salifert kits better. The Seachem kits use these little plastic trays instead of test tubes...I found them to be a bit of a pain to use. I've used the Red Sea kits for FW tanks, but I don't think I'd trust them for SW.

Salifert is a good one. Seachems are actually more accurate but not as popular. The thing with the saliferts is no one ever has them in stock as Salifert is horrible at restocking suppiers.

The Seachem kits use these little plastic trays instead of test tubes...I found them to be a bit of a pain to use
Yes I find that every once in a while I have to bleach the trays to get the whiteness back into them.. They trays are quite a pain and can be messy at times..

Salifert is horrible at restocking suppiers.
From what I have read Salifert has been working on it.. They doubled the supply and the demand trippled.. I hear that they are making some MASS quanities and we should be looking foward to be able to find Salifert test kits a bit easier..

James

Thanks alot for all the help guys. I'm going to go out today and see if I can find a Salifert test kit. Again thanks!!!

Back
Top Bottom