Test kit age

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

divedeep1689

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey two years ago at christmas i got my first salt tank i still have the test kit that came with it so the test kit has to be at least two years old plus the pet store it came from dont sell many of them how long do they last do they expire it seems to me they are getting wrong mesurments i use dip tests after tryingthose old drop tests and the dip strips read wat i would expect my levels to be acording to the drop my ph is off the charts but not with the strips do the drops get old?

There's varying information by vendor. Some claim their liquid test kits are good for 3 years, some for 5. But if they haven't been stored properly, then all bets are off. i.e. they got too hot or something, it can kill them.

In response to your question, each reagent bottle has a Lot # printed on
the bottle. The last four digits are the month and year of manufacture.
Example: Lot # 28A0102. This is a pH reagent manufactured in January of
2002. Pond Care Wide Range pH, Ammonia, High Range pH, Nitrate,
Phosphate, Copper, Calcium and GH all last for three years. Nitrite and
KH will last for four years. Freshwater pH(low range) and Pond Care Salt
Level will last for five years. I would not trust these kits after they
have expired.

Should be. API is the one who claims 3 years, and it sounds like you've kept it properly. Perhaps it's close enough that it's just time, especially if you're getting crazy readings.

Well like i said its a wierd color its hard to read on the chart and my fish are healthy and corals wat would be a syptom of a high ph? But like i said color dont match anything on the chart.

Back
Top Bottom