test kit brands

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

e-cat

Aquarium Advice Addict
what brands of test kits do you prefer?
i have always used hagen but i bought seachems free/ total ammonia, nitrate/nitrite and ph/alkine test kits and thought id give them a try and from reading them the tests seem too go into better ranges. eg 0.001,0.002 ect not like hagens 0.01 , 0.05 ect

i have seachem's nitrate/nitrite test, but I don't think it works well for me. I follow instructions and all that, but it gives me readings of like 1.5 to 2 max. nitrate. I could just be in disbelief about such low levels, but I feel like it just isn't working correctly. I don't know.

I have both the seachem and the sailfert nitrite/nitrate test kits. I absolutely love the sailfert. The results are more precise. I am slowly switching all of my test kits to sailfert. The only one that does not give me good results is sailfert ph test.

I've used Salifert, Seachem and JBL. Think Salifert is still better in ease of use and reading.

I've been using Tropic Marin for calcium, and it is hard to tell the endpoint for the titration. I just switched to Salifert and it is much easier to read. For pH I've been using Seachem with no problems. Also use Seachem for nitrite/nitrate, phosphate, and iodine....the iodine test is pretty tricky and not very good. I like the fact that Seachem kits come with a standard sample for verifying the accuracy of the kit. Tetra kits are cheap and easy to use for the basic tests (nitrate, nitrite, ammonia, pH, alk).

Back
Top Bottom