test kit questions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dorian965

Aquarium Advice Freak
im using different kinds of kits. my master is aquarium pharmaceudicals and i have a few others. i was wondering if you guys and gals hold the test tube directly against the color chart or close to it? if you hold it close, you get a lighter reading than if you put up against the paper.
i really hate comparing colors. can any of you suggest a good kit that has a really good color chart with clearly defined instructions. I would really like to take out the guess work in testing.

I use the salifert kit for calc and kh/alk. some of their kits are 10 times better but some of them are the same color matching crap and not worth the extra $.

Hold them an inch off the card in daylight but not direct sunlight.

IMO test kits are another week product when it comes to this hobby. Buy three different test kits and its almost a certainty that you will get three different results.

I stick with SeaChem and Salifert tests for my SW setup. both Kh/alkalinity and calcium are 'count the drops til it turns colors' kits so there's no card to compare to...same with my saliftert magnesium test.

pH is a color card, but it's pretty easy to compare. Same with nitrate and phosphate.

(ammonia and nitrite are always at 0ppm, so again easy to see on the color card)

Is the salifert Nitrate test kit worth it? It's the only one I need, I currently have a Tetra and it's decent, but again, the colors are hard to tell sometimes. Also, my tetra has 0, then the next step up is 12.5 mg/l.....not good!

sailfert are nice due to the fact most not all of them use count the drops or simple formula to caculate the exact number of what your testing. and takes the color guessing game out of testing. and your right alot of test go from zero and then 20 or 30 which doesnt help much.

Back
Top Bottom