Test Kits

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dlsrks

Aquarium Advice Freak
Why is it that you have to buy individual test kits? I have the basic test kit from API. I would like to start testing for copper, magnesium, iodine, and other minerals. I cant afford the digital kind. Since I will have to start buying them, which should I start with and which brand is best?
Any advise would be appreciated. thanks.

You can buy the master test kit which includes everything you would need. Look up master saltwater test kit.

Api master kit is the cheapest most readily available. However, if you want really accurate measurements, and high quality test kits you should look up salifert, and red Sea, or Hannah.

Of course there's the matter of what to check. Dose only what you can test for, use a High quality buffer and a good calcium additive. So, refratometer or hydrometer, alkalinity test, magnesium, and calcium test kits. Magnesium you might not even need. Of course ammonia, no3 and no4, phosphate those are your default ones.

Strontium, barium, iodine, iron, silicate, oxygen, orp.... Well they're for people with more free time than I.

I have had bad experiences with API I try to avoid the brand if possible.

Thanks for the advise. I have plenty of time. Already have 3 saltwater tanks. Fixing to add 2 more to the list. Good thing i have a big house lol I guess I better get the good testers when I can. I have already switched over to the Red Sea Reef Salt. I couldn't believe the texture difference between that and the instant ocean.

The API master marine kit is great for getting you through a cycle, but once you get into an established tank, you will want much better (more sensitive) tests. I use the Red Sea Reef Foundation Pro & Algae Control kits. This gets you good quality tests for calc, alk, mag, nitrate, & phosphate. The API test is still fine for pH.

Think I will switch over to red sea test kits. I will have to see who has the best price. Thanks.

You can use the API ammonia kit as from what I understand the Red Sea is off the market. If you are cycled, it should always read 0, so even the API should test accurate. Mine always does. I do use the Red Sea for the trates and phosphates. They are much more accurate. Switched from API after some off the charts readings. I have heard good things about salifert, but they are complicated, although the Red Sea is a bit time consuming as well.

Good luck!

What test do I need for a reef tank and what company can I get all of them together for under $100

Back
Top Bottom