Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-14-2013, 12:45 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Test kits

I am currently using API test kits but was just wonder what the opinions out there are on test kits and if there are brands that are widely recognized as better or more accurate. I'm just the sort of guy that likes to know if there is better stuff out there

Old 10-14-2013, 01:41 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

For reef tanks, the API set is OK for getting your tank cycled, but beyond that, they are not nearly accurate enough. The standards are pretty much Salifert, Red Sea, and Hanna checkers. I personally like the Red Sea kits. I use the Reef Foundation kit for Calc, Alk, & Mag.... Red Sea for nitrates, and a Hanna checker for phosphates.

Old 10-14-2013, 03:09 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Saliferts are good thats what I use
Old 10-14-2013, 08:19 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Cool thanks guys, I have a Red Sea test kit for phosphates and some other Red Sea products. Have been very happy with the brand so far
Old 10-16-2013, 07:17 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Used Salefert for years and switched to Red Sea, much nicer test kits, the big 3 from Amazon for $40

Amazon.com: Red Sea Reef Foundation Test Kit - Calcium, Alkalinity & Magnesium: Pet Supplies
Old 10-16-2013, 09:59 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

idk why everyone likes to hate on API. ive used API from the beginning and haven't had a single issue
huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 10:19 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by huma-huma View Post
idk why everyone likes to hate on API. ive used API from the beginning and haven't had a single issue
I have compared Salifert, Red Sea and Api side by side, Salifert and Red Sea are always close API is always the one way off from the other 2, also some of their test are very hard to determine the actually color/measurement.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:30 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holygral View Post
I have compared Salifert, Red Sea and Api side by side, Salifert and Red Sea are always close API is always the one way off from the other 2, also some of their test are very hard to determine the actually color/measurement.
That's actually why I started this thread. I often find myself moving from one light source to another trying to determine exactly which color my sample water is closest to. I've noticed with the nitrate test especially that there is a big difference between indoor light and natural outdoor light. For my eyes, what looks like 40ppm inside ends up looking more like 5ppm outside.
Old 10-16-2013, 01:04 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by huma-huma View Post
Same here. Havent had a problem with API, & for the price you cant beat it. Just have to follow intructions word for word.

paul87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 01:12 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

I did a side by side comparison as well. pH was consistantly 0.4pH low. DkH scale is 1 drop=1.0 dKH, but I think it should be 1 drop = 0.5meq/l (or 1.4dKH) as that is what both other tests showed. Calcium was bang on. Nitrate tests in the master and reef test were significantly different, even though they were both API tests??? My trates are 0 now so I am unable to test anymore.
End result, API is good, but not great. When consistancy is more important that exact numbers, API should suffice.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com