Test kits

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mcmcoker

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am currently using API test kits but was just wonder what the opinions out there are on test kits and if there are brands that are widely recognized as better or more accurate. I'm just the sort of guy that likes to know if there is better stuff out there :)

For reef tanks, the API set is OK for getting your tank cycled, but beyond that, they are not nearly accurate enough. The standards are pretty much Salifert, Red Sea, and Hanna checkers. I personally like the Red Sea kits. I use the Reef Foundation kit for Calc, Alk, & Mag.... Red Sea for nitrates, and a Hanna checker for phosphates.

Cool thanks guys, I have a Red Sea test kit for phosphates and some other Red Sea products. Have been very happy with the brand so far

idk why everyone likes to hate on API. ive used API from the beginning and haven't had a single issue

idk why everyone likes to hate on API. ive used API from the beginning and haven't had a single issue

I have compared Salifert, Red Sea and Api side by side, Salifert and Red Sea are always close API is always the one way off from the other 2, also some of their test are very hard to determine the actually color/measurement.

I have compared Salifert, Red Sea and Api side by side, Salifert and Red Sea are always close API is always the one way off from the other 2, also some of their test are very hard to determine the actually color/measurement.

That's actually why I started this thread. I often find myself moving from one light source to another trying to determine exactly which color my sample water is closest to. I've noticed with the nitrate test especially that there is a big difference between indoor light and natural outdoor light. For my eyes, what looks like 40ppm inside ends up looking more like 5ppm outside.

Same here. Havent had a problem with API, & for the price you cant beat it. Just have to follow intructions word for word.

I did a side by side comparison as well. pH was consistantly 0.4pH low. DkH scale is 1 drop=1.0 dKH, but I think it should be 1 drop = 0.5meq/l (or 1.4dKH) as that is what both other tests showed. Calcium was bang on. Nitrate tests in the master and reef test were significantly different, even though they were both API tests??? My trates are 0 now so I am unable to test anymore.
End result, API is good, but not great. When consistancy is more important that exact numbers, API should suffice.

I use elos for mag,alk,cal and Salifert for phos and nitrate I was using Red Sea but the mag test was off so I stopped using them.

End result, API is good, but not great. When consistancy is more important that exact numbers, API should suffice.

quite possibly the best explaination of API test kits ive read. I personally am looking for consistency from test to test as well.so as long as its not jumping off the chart its ok if its slightly off.

My API nitrate ran out, so I decided to try Red Sea. After a few tests, I just like the kit, bottles, etc a lot better. Reading also seems easier with the color wheel. I never hated the API, but I'm not sure I will ever go back.

I wasn't hatin' on API.... they're great for freshwater & FOWLR, just nowhere near sensitive enough for reef, IMO. When the phosphate test's most sensitive increment is 0.25, and I'm looking for 0.03 or less, that just don't cut it.

Hanna has a nitrate checker? I know it was in development hell for awhile, but wasn't aware it was complete.
dont think just yet but been told they do one for labs but it expensive, haven't been able find it tho

Will this work ?
Hanna Instruments HI96786 Cal Check Nitrate Portable Photometer, 7-19/32" Length x 4-3/32" Width x 2-11/16" Height, 0.0 to 100 mg/L, 1 mg/L Resolution, LCD Display, 9V

Will this work ? Hanna Instruments HI96786 Cal Check Nitrate Portable Photometer, 7-19/32" Length x 4-3/32" Width x 2-11/16" Height, 0.0 to 100 mg/L, 1 mg/L Resolution, LCD Display, 9V

That's their more expensive lab grade unit. If you have the bucks, it would be nice to have.

Back
Top Bottom