test kits

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would say that for the money the second one is the better deal. I can't see a picture for the first one, but it sounds like the one we have(aquarium pharmaceuticals). The second one though has the alkalinity also and you'll need that too.

okay yeah I was thinking that one two but I wasnt possitive....also, do i test everyday surring the cycle or every other....or somthing diff.??

TIA,
Ant

You can do either every day or every other, but it will take between 2 and 4 weeks so you could even get away with every 3rd day for the first couple of weeks. Really up to you. The tests will probably expire before you can use them all up so do whichever you want to make you feel comfortable. Not the alk though. Just worry about the other four at first.

My last set lasted 9 months appx with the ph going first. It really depends on how long it sat on the shelf and where you store it at your house I guess. I noticed it had gone bad because the ph test went from 8.2 one week to 7.6 the next with no noticable diff in the tank. So I tested the other two tanks and the same thing so I knew it was the test kit and got a new one, and voila! it was back to 8.2 again. I would start to look for weird readings between 9 months and a year. But look for an expiration date on the box if available.

okay..thanks for your help....I am bidding on a kit on ebay..the sameone as above...its not used its from an ebay store...should I be fine? Its brand new in the box...

As always you get what you pay for. Is it possible to do an "ask seller a question" to get an idea how long they've had it in stock or if it has an expiration date? It's probably fine. I've bought chemicals and test kits off of ebay before with no problems. I also got my skimmer and the lights for my 20g off of there.

one last quick question while I have you posting....is it okay if i have a hang on back skimmer in my sump?? my sump is a 10 gal. aquarium...just curiouse...If i can do that I would rather than an in sump skimmer...

thanks for all of the help..greatly appreciated..

If it will sit flat in the bottom of the sump without falling over it should be fine. You can't hang it because your sump will not be full. It has to stay low in case of loss of power(I'm sure you know that). My skimmer is a hang inside and I have it in the sump. I just used the suction cups to attach the ph to the side of the sump and set the skimmer body on the bottom of the sump. I have the water just deep enough so I can't hear the water flowing out of the skimmer.(annoying sound)

Good luck and just use your ingenuity on how to attach the skimmer in the sump. We've done one with a pvc hanger mounted to the skimmer to hang it in the tank before. Just whatever diy you can manage.

Back
Top Bottom