Test kits & active carbon, best buys?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shultz

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just a quickie, I know realise that my current test kit for ammonia,nitrites,nitrates has to big a jumps between sections (0.25ppm) So I'd like to know what brands people on here use, more so UK people..

Also the same goes for active carbon to go in my skimmer please

Cheers Shelton.

Well...first, carbon doesnt go in your skimmer. It should go in a high flow area.

As far as Test kits, we use Salifert. They are a little more expensive, but more accurate and easier to use than the ones with all the poweders.

SquishyFish said:
Well...first, carbon doesnt go in your skimmer. It should go in a high flow area.
I would imagine the media box in the skimmer was made for this purpose since it is a highflow area. I've never done it myself though so can't comment on how well it works. As for brands just go with whatever the best one your LFS sells. Don't skimp but don't go crazy either :wink:

SquishyFish said:
As far as Test kits, we use Salifert. They are a little more expensive, but more accurate and easier to use than the ones with all the poweders.
Agreed (y)

Yes the Prizm Deluxe skimmer has a carbon media basket in the outflow chamber. when i added carbon to mine, I was able to skim out the cloudiness from the inadequately rinsed argonite sand.

malkore said:
Yes the Prizm Deluxe skimmer has a carbon media basket in the outflow chamber. when i added carbon to mine, I was able to skim out the cloudiness from the inadequately rinsed argonite sand.

Thanks to Atari & SquishyFish for your help, I should have mentioned I have the above skimmer.

I'll have a look at the LFS tomorrow when I vist :)

Cheers Shelton.

Back
Top Bottom