Test kits salifin vs API

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Convict2161

Aquarium Advice Addict
Just for fun. My friend who has a HUGE saltwater tank he tested my water for fun. He said my nitrAtes were high and pH was low. Not dangerously like urgent but he said I needed to do a water change. I just did one on Saturday.

Can 2 different test kits come back so different?

The API kit showed everything on the money. I'm confused.

This is my buddy's tank.

View attachment 82244

Last edited:
Salifert test kits will definitely be more accurate and more expensive. I've had bad luck with API Nitrate tests specifically. I think the biggest factor in test inaccuracy, is the age of the test kit, besides user error.

While the salifert tests are generally more accurate for saltwater, if you want consistent results on pH, you need to pick up a pH meter.

Wy Renegade said:
While the salifert tests are generally more accurate for saltwater, if you want consistent results on pH, you need to pick up a pH meter.

Is that like a pH monitor? I see on like marinedepot? There like 100 bucks.

Is that like a pH monitor? I see on like marinedepot? There like 100 bucks.

The tester and the moniter are two different things. The tester is simply a electronic tester and they are usually around $60. You can use them every time you would normally chemically test your tanks pH - just a lot more accurate than a chemical test. The monitor on the other hand has a probe that is generally left in the tank and it monitors fluctuations in pH constantly.

Here is a link to one of the pH testers put out by HACH;
USABlueBook - Hach pH Pocket Pal Tester 4435001

Back
Top Bottom