Test Levels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Locque

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have had my tank setup for about 6 months now, and everything seems to be running great with the exception of a couple if hiccups along the way. Anyway, everytime I test my ammonia/nitrite/nitrate levels, nothing really seems to be any different. My ammonia is always reading about .25 ppm, nitrites are always zero, and nitrates about 20 ppm. Everybody seems to be happy. My shrimp, wrasse, starfish, hermit crabs, and snails are doing good. (BTW I lost about 4 fish due to using bad...tap...water during a water change but everything I listed survived)

I was just wondering why it is that my ammonias will never match up to the zero color on the test strip. I have been running my protein skimmer from day one and I wonder if this has something to do with it. Any suggestions? I was considering leaving my protein skimmer off for a week and keeping my eyes on the levels....

It may be the test kit. Maybe take a water sample to your LFS for comparison.

i dont like using test strips feel they are not accurate ! try a better test kit and see if you get the same reading ! if not whats your feeding schedule ?

I have heard the many test strips are not accurate. You might try taking a water sample to the LFS and have them test it. It could be that you are at zero right now and don't even realize it.

WOW!!! The response time is great!! I appreciate it!

About my feeding schedules, I used to feed WAY too often, but now I only feed like 2 maybe 3 times a week. It has been about a month now that I've been feeding this way. I am becoming more careful not to overfeed. My brittle star helps to pickup any remainders, but I am certainly more conscientious about it...

I will try to take some water to the LFS and see what they say. They used to do it for free but now I see that they have a sign up that says $3.00. They know me by name and I spend a lot of money there so I can probably get it for free...

Back
Top Bottom