Testing for chlorine/chlorides

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarkW19

Aquarium Advice Addict
Are these contained in Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) or do I need a seperate testing kit for them?

Just worried that I won't know when my RO unit has stopped being as efficient with chlorine and chlorides (I have a TDS meter)...

What is your TDS meter indicating? For my RO/DI system, the output water is ~1ppm while the tap water reads around ~85ppm.

The TDS simply measures dissolved solids. I would assume it will also pick up chlorine/chlorides because of this.

My tap water is 150ppm, and my RO water is 2ppm.

So chlorine/chlorides are measured in TDS too?

So chlorine/chlorides are measured in TDS too?

I believe, someone please correct me if I am wrong, the TDS meter will pick ANYTHING up that is dissolved in the sample of water it is measuring. That would include chlorine/chlorides as well.

If you are getting a 2ppm reading, I would say your RO unit is working perfectly unless your TDS meter isn't working properly.

The TDS will only register ionized particles in the water, so it is not a completey sure fire method. Chlorine and chloramines are removed by the carbon in the RO system not the membrane so as long as the chambers are changed at least twice a year depending on water quality going in, you should be fine.

Cheers
Steve

So I need to replace the carbon now basically? It's been 6 months since I got it (water quality going in is 150ppm TDS).

How do I change them? The membrane has to be kept in water as you know - if I unscrew the 2 chambers will the water not fall out (and therefore the water in the membrane housing above will come through the 2 chambers and fall out?). It's a Kent full-size 24gal/day unit I've got - 2 carbon chambers and mebrane housing sitting above. What's the method of changing the 2 carbon chambers while still keeping everything ok (ie. membrane submersed in water)?

Thanks!

Steve: how long should the actual membrane last?

Steve: I've got a Quality Pure full size 24gal/day unit. I'm told this is the same (apparently) as the Kent unit).

Do I need a "1 micron sediment filter" for one chamber, and "replacement carbon cartridge" for the 2nd chamber? Is it sort of 1 size fits all, or do I need specific parts for my unit?

So I need to replace the carbon now basically? It's been 6 months since I got it (water quality going in is 150ppm TDS).

The carbon should be replaced every 6 months. I replace my carbon filters between 4-6 months.

How do I change them? The membrane has to be kept in water as you know - if I unscrew the 2 chambers will the water not fall out (and therefore the water in the membrane housing above will come through the 2 chambers and fall out?). It's a Kent full-size 24gal/day unit I've got - 2 carbon chambers and mebrane housing sitting above. What's the method of changing the 2 carbon chambers while still keeping everything ok (ie. membrane submersed in water)?

Just turn the water off to the unit and unscrew the carbon filter housings. Your membrane will be fine. You will need to flush those new carbon filters though. The easiest way to do this is put the new filters in and replace the filter housings. Then disconnect the water line going into the membrane from the carbon filters. You can leave the line connected to carbon filters though as you want to drape this line into a bucket so you can run water through the carbon filters only. Turn on the water to the unit and let it flush the carbon filters out for a few minutes and then reconnect the line back into the membrane housing.

Make sense? ;-)

Steve: how long should the actual membrane last?

I'm not Steve, but I can tell you the membrane should last at least 2 years. Probably longer. When your TDS meter begins reading higher and higher, it is time to start thinking about changing that membrane and DI resin.

Do I need a "1 micron sediment filter" for one chamber, and "replacement carbon cartridge" for the 2nd chamber? Is it sort of 1 size fits all, or do I need specific parts for my unit?

Again, I am not Steve, however you should be able to use most any carbon/sediment filter. Most are the same size however there are exceptions. You will need a sediment filter in the first stage and carbon in the remaining stage.

Can I disconnect the 2 chambers from the membrane, open up the chambers, and remove the filter media for about an hour while I go get replacements from the shop?

I want to be able to take my old filters with me so that I get the right thing - will the membrane definitely stay in water during this time, and will it be ok with the plastic chambers taken off, or would you screw them back on while I'm out (even though there'll be no filters inside)?

I've just got the 2 filters. The carbon one is "Pentek Filtration, Granular Activated Carbon Filter Cartridge, 20 microns (nominal). Reduces Chlorine Taste & Odor, Bad Taste & Odor".

Is this OK?

Should be fine so long as it fits into your filter housing. Did you get a sediment filter as well?

Yeah they both fit, I got the sediment filter as well. Which should be first by the way (from the water source) - sediment or carbon?

I'd got them on the wrong way round :p

Just changed them, but realised I've made a booboo :p

I just took them off and screwed them to the other part, but didn't tip the water out that was left in the chambers from when I was rinsing them through. Therefore, the water that's currently in the carbon chamber will never go through the sediment filter, if you get me. And the water in the sediment filter has already been through the carbon, and will go through again :p So the next time I RO some water, the first part of it won't have gone through the sediment filter.

Will this be a problem? I've just put my unit back together again and don't really want to mess with it again!

I would just flush the unit again like you did when you first put the filter in. That should remove the water that didn't go through the sediment filter and vice versa.

Okie, done.

But (grr!), I tested the unit when it was put back together earlier today to see if it was outputting correctly (with the chambers connected back to the membrane after I'd flushed just the 2 chambers), so some of the water in the membrane went through the carbon filter BEFORE the sediment (as they were on the wrong way round). So when I start my RO the water that was in the membrane will come out first of course, and went through the 2 filters in the wrong order.

Problem?

:p

Back
Top Bottom