Testing Salinity/SG

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarkW19

Aquarium Advice Addict
Unfortunately money restraints mean I can't get a refractometer at the moment, so it comes down to a choice between these:-

http://www.atlantisaquatics.co.uk/acatalog/refractomers.html

The Aquamedic Salimeter, Instant Ocean Hydrometer (dunk in and scoop water out type with needle), or Waterlife Seadrometer.

Just wondering which is the easiest to use out of those 3, and most accurate?

Thanks for any help guys.

I used the IO Hydrometer for a while. The trick to them is to go get your water tested with a refractometer to see where you are really at. Then go and use the IO Hydr. and see where it is at. Then you can have sort of a reference and see how far off it actually is. I havent used the other ones so I couldnt tell you how accurate they are but that was my experience with the IO. HTH

I agree with ntswift. Actually, the IO hydrometer I had was right on the money when compared to a refractometer. That doesn't mean yours will be, and I'd still calibrate it against a refractometer, I just got lucky. :)

I had been using an IO hydrometer and it would say that my ten gallon was at 1.024 and my 20 gallon was at 1.025. Then when I got my refractometer, I checked the tanks right after using the hydrometer (it gave me the same readings) and the refractometer said my ten was 1.0225 and my 20 gallon was 1.025. So it can vary.

How do you guys find using the IO hydrometer - is it quick/easy compared to a refractometer?

A refractometer is so easy to read. Drop a few drops onto the glass, and look into it. It's also just really fun to play with. :) If you can afford one, I'd definitley get one. Obviously, with a hydrometer, you just dip in an remove and you can see the SG.

Might see if I can pick up refractometer off eBay. Are they all as good as eachother?

I got a refractometer through the username "greatdel" on ebay. Was only $28.50 but is a fantastic refractometer. The shipping is a bit slow as it comes straight from China, but was well worth the 10 day or so wait. At that price, it's not even much more than some hydrometers.

Most of your refractometers cost about 30-45 dollars. Not really that expensive. As stated above see where your hydrometer is and have your LFS use his refractometer and you`ll know where it runs.

Back
Top Bottom