Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-06-2009, 09:07 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to divedeep1689
testing tank levels

with a liquid drops test kits how do you look at the colors? do you hold the bottle up to the light against something white against the card? wat is the best way cause it looks dif when you hold it to the light.

special thanks to melosu58 , roka , thincat,CaptainAhab (and many more who i will list later as i find thier names so i can spell them lol ) for i would not have the tank or the knowledge i have about my tank if not for them.
divedeep1689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 09:48 PM   #2
HN1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hold the color chart card behind the test tube and view in bright light. Preferably daylight, flourescents make them a bit tougher for me to read.

Old 07-07-2009, 03:42 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The instructions should indicate, it does make a big difference. Check the mfg's web site.
Old 07-07-2009, 04:29 PM   #4
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I like to hold mine up to a white card.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 05:40 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Same here, I hold it up against a white card in bright light.
Old 07-08-2009, 12:42 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

cool i normaly check mine in day time and take it ouside hold it against the color card in the white area against the sun well not directly against it off to the side in bright light right now i am stuck with some wal mart jungle quick dip strips tho cause i used up all of my drops for ph on some diy rocks i have more being ordered thursday tho lol
special thanks to melosu58 , roka , thincat,CaptainAhab (and many more who i will list later as i find thier names so i can spell them lol ) for i would not have the tank or the knowledge i have about my tank if not for them.
Old 07-08-2009, 12:55 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

However you do it, you really want to read the color in the same lighting all the time. That way, you can get to know the subtle variations in the colors and over time will know what the colors mean without the color chart. If your lighting is constantly changing (different rooms, different lighting outside) it's going to be tough to get consistent readings. For that reason, I'd shy away from outside, pick a room and lighting, and stick with it.
Old 07-09-2009, 11:41 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

It's part of my morning ritual, a smoke(I know I should quit), coffee, morning radio program and my water testing kit while sitting on my porch in the backyard performing tests on my FW & SW tanks. I read the test in natural daylight (I find the test easier to read) against the white portion of the color chart provided for this purpose. I find know matter where I go in the house the test results appear to be worse than they actually are. I had my water tested by 3 lfs to confirm my suspicion, they confirmed that the readings read outside are the more accurate reading interpretation.
Old 07-10-2009, 01:17 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

cool

Tags
level, sting, tan, testing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com