testing tank levels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

divedeep1689

Aquarium Advice Addict
with a liquid drops test kits how do you look at the colors? do you hold the bottle up to the light against something white against the card? wat is the best way cause it looks dif when you hold it to the light.

Hold the color chart card behind the test tube and view in bright light. Preferably daylight, flourescents make them a bit tougher for me to read.

Same here, I hold it up against a white card in bright light.

cool :) i normaly check mine in day time and take it ouside hold it against the color card in the white area against the sun well not directly against it off to the side in bright light right now i am stuck with some wal mart jungle quick dip strips tho cause i used up all of my drops for ph on some diy rocks i have more being ordered thursday tho lol

However you do it, you really want to read the color in the same lighting all the time. That way, you can get to know the subtle variations in the colors and over time will know what the colors mean without the color chart. If your lighting is constantly changing (different rooms, different lighting outside) it's going to be tough to get consistent readings. For that reason, I'd shy away from outside, pick a room and lighting, and stick with it.

It's part of my morning ritual, a smoke(I know I should quit:(), coffee, morning radio program and my water testing kit while sitting on my porch in the backyard performing tests on my FW & SW tanks. I read the test in natural daylight (I find the test easier to read) against the white portion of the color chart provided for this purpose. I find know matter where I go in the house the test results appear to be worse than they actually are. I had my water tested by 3 lfs to confirm my suspicion, they confirmed that the readings read outside are the more accurate reading interpretation.

Back
Top Bottom