Testing the waters......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

d_art

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have been doing tests on my tank since late January and I have always gotten the same results save for maybe a tiny bit higher (5.0ppm) Nitrate result. This led me to believe that maybe these tests were a bit off however everything seemed going smooth enough. Well, today I tested my curing live rock and finally got some different results. They are still a bit wierd though:

Ammonia - .50ppm
Nitrite - 0ppm
Nitrate - 20ppm
PH - 8.2? This one is tough to read

I use the Aquarium Pharm. Saltwafter Master Tests, are these highly recommended or do you guys know of any better ones? Do those readings look like they can be accurate?

Thanks in advance,
Derek

Whether they are accurate? Depends, no way for us to tell, you will need to double check them with someone elses kits (like the LFS).

I'm not crazy about aquarium pharm kits as a general rule, but for ammonia and nitrite, I think there fine, IMO all you really need for those after your tank has cycled is a yes or no test, the exact numbers are not as important as simply knowing that it's there and you have a problem. Also, you should not get much variance in those tests, ph and nitrate might fluctuate a bit, but ammonia and nitrite should always be 0.

For other tests, I would use salifert kits.

ites and amm have been consistently reading 0.00 (Rock was partially cured in store tank). ates are still hovering at about 5 -10 ppm. LFS guy said it was safe to add to my established tank......wondering what you guys think.

Thanks in Advance, Derek

If nitrate is at 20 ppm then do a water change, then I would go ahead and get a cleanup crew. Are you using ro/di water? Test your new water for nitrate before adding to the tank. This may be the problem.

Back
Top Bottom