Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 03-27-2005, 01:30 PM   #1
Testing Water

Can I test my water every other day instead of every day during my cycle?
Old 03-27-2005, 02:59 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular
it would be best to test every day because then you can determine the upward and downward trends a lot easier. but one can get away with it, i assume, because usually i don't test until the 2nd week really (i know i should test better) but after i see ammonia i let things go until i test again and see nitrite and then later and then i see nitrate and let that sit for a while and that is good enough for me. (as long as you cycled your tank with a heavy bioload where readings are really obvious so then when you see a reading of 0 ppm. then it is obviously not in the system anymore.)

Wooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 05:04 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
Every two or three days is ok for the first week or two. After the 2 week mark you should go for every day because it's going to start clearing up.
Good luck! Kat
90 malawia cichlid
55 planted tropical community
electrikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 05:33 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via AIM to AR15 guy
If you are doing a fishless cycle I don't see the need to test everyday. I probably would just to get an idea of what is going on. If you have a fish or inverts in there I would definetly test daily. Just incase you need to do an emergency water change.
38 gal SW, CC, 40lbs base rock, 5lbs live, emporer 280, bio-wheel 330,tronic heater, 2 O. clowns, 1 firefish.

29 gal FW, boring...soon to be salt I think.

10 gal SW, 20lbs LS, 20lbs base rock, 1 unhappy domino damsel (he was in the 38...switched the percs and the damesel recently).
AR15 guy is offline   Reply With Quote

sting, testing

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com