Testing Water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Z

zacdl

Can I test my water every other day instead of every day during my cycle?

it would be best to test every day because then you can determine the upward and downward trends a lot easier. but one can get away with it, i assume, because usually i don't test until the 2nd week really (i know i should test better) but after i see ammonia i let things go until i test again and see nitrite and then later and then i see nitrate and let that sit for a while and that is good enough for me. (as long as you cycled your tank with a heavy bioload where readings are really obvious so then when you see a reading of 0 ppm. then it is obviously not in the system anymore.)

Every two or three days is ok for the first week or two. After the 2 week mark you should go for every day because it's going to start clearing up.

If you are doing a fishless cycle I don't see the need to test everyday. I probably would just to get an idea of what is going on. If you have a fish or inverts in there I would definetly test daily. Just incase you need to do an emergency water change.

Back
Top Bottom