TetraTest Nitrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

uncwalley

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Does anyone have experience with these? I've been using one for about 6 months now for a freshwater tank, brackish tank, and now a SW tank. The readings on the first two are always fairly normal. However, the new SW tank is bordering on ridiculous. It has been at my place for about a month. I took it and half its water from its previous home. It is 72g, has about 80lbs live rock (that's a guess), and the substrate is crushed coral. I am running a TetraTec 500 HOB, a HOT Magnum 350 cannister, and an oh-so-crappy Big Mombasa protein skimmer (that actually made a small amount of skimmate for a couple weeks). My nitrate readings are always on the high end of the scale. The difference on the color chart between 50 and 100 is stupid small, so I can't really pinpoint exactly where I'm at, but much higher than I want to be. Here's the real kicker. I've done water changes of at least 15 gallons every week since I got it, and the nitrate has never gone down. All that is in the tank is a small 3-striped damsel, a spotted watchman goby, a cleaner shrimp, and about 10 snails. I've gone to every-other day feedings and still no change, even after a 33% change yesterday.

A little more information that I know will bring the usual responses. I use tap water, that comes with a whopping 12.5 nitrate from the get-go. I realize this is not ideal, but I can't change that now. I realize that crushed coral is no good too and I am in the process of attempting to find sand at a decent price. Filters, I just rinsed and changed the carbon. Do I dare take the media out, especially the TetraTec bio-sponge thing?

Thanks.

Have you vacuumed the cc lately? If there's been detritus/food building up in there then that alone could account for the high levels.

I vacuum it every time I change the water, including yesterday. Of course, there is a lot of cc underneath the rock that I can get to. Who knows what is under there.

I think it's probably a combination of the tap water, substrate and filter media. Changing the substrate and keeping the media/sponge clean will help some but unfortunately until you change to RO/DI water you will simply be back to square one everytime you do a water change.

I believe there are nitrate removal systems out there but I've never used one.

First thing I would do is get a second opinion with another test kit, preferably a Salifert one.

Back
Top Bottom