Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-17-2006, 08:44 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

I agree! I kind of like that look, looks "dangerous."

However, on the top right rock, where it rests on the bottom right rock, there is actually more rock behind it. There is actually several inches of contact from the back on the right side of the cavern. On the left side of the cavern, there is another supporting nob coming out of the bottom left rock that it is resting on. It took me several hours to get it perfect, but nothing budges, not even slightly, not even with significant pressure. I am confident that it is stable, and with the base rock sitting on the bottom, I am confident it will remain that way.

46 Gallon (Saltwater): 60 pounds Lalo Live Rock, 60 pounds aragonite sand, 1 Coral Beauty Angelfish, 1 Peppermint Shrimp, 1 Mushroom Coral, 1 Emerald Crab, various snails and hermit crabs.

10 Gallon (Saltwater quarantine):
pkremer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 08:54 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to Florida8
Looking good!!!

29g reef
2 ph and 1 HOB =460 gph
130watt Orbit lighting system
50+lbs lr
1 blue green chromis, domino, blue devil
6 turbo snails
1 mantis GRRRR!
Florida8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 10:13 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Looks like you are off to a great start! Love the rock.
Old 03-19-2006, 12:30 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to DragonForce
You can break live rock really easy depending on how dense it is. I would break some of that up and re-aquascape.
3' fine sand bed 1x Orange Stripe Prawn shrimp goby, 1x sixline wrassemated pair of true percula clowns, 1x CBS shrimp, 2x peppermint shrimp, 1x pistol shrimp, 1x tiger tale cuke, ~20+ snails, ~10+ hermits, 1xserpent star.
green Bubble coral, hammer coral (8 heads!) ,various Zoos,green finger leather, green star polpys ,shrooms
175w 10k MH
28w actinic 03
2x maxi jett 1200
Prizm skimmer (modded)
Hagen powerfilter(for running carbon 24/7)
nano arctica chiller
DragonForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 04:56 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

I don't think so! It took me plenty enough time to get that right rock right. I can't imagine breaking it into even more pieces!!!

I enjoy the way it looks right now. I wouldn't get that much more height out of it, and the few extra caves I might be able to create wouldn't be worth the frustration it would create in ME! I have 3 nice caves that I rather like, and everyone who I have invited over to look at has really liked it, including me, so I think I'm set. Not to mention, if I ever need to move, having a little bit larger pieces will make life so much easier...

46 Gallon (Saltwater): 60 pounds Lalo Live Rock, 60 pounds aragonite sand, 1 Coral Beauty Angelfish, 1 Peppermint Shrimp, 1 Mushroom Coral, 1 Emerald Crab, various snails and hermit crabs.

Old 03-24-2006, 07:31 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Wow!!! For some reason, I thought this cycle would last 3 to 4 weeks, especially getting 2 different shipment of live rock over a week!

March 10 : First shipment of live rock showed up, scrubbed all the dieoff I could get off of the rocks and placed them in.

March 16: Second shipment of live rock showed up, again scrubbed all the dieoff I could get off, and placed it in the tank. At this point:
Ammonia = 4 ppm
Nitrite = 8 to 10 ppm
Nitrate = 20 ppm.

March 17: Did a 15 gallon water change. Strangely, the nitrite had gone above my test's ability to register, and the nitrates were over 100!!! I believe this test may have been a false high.

March 23: Ammonia gone, nitrite barely registering, nitrate 20!

March 24: Exactly 2 weeks after the beginning of my cycle, ammonia is undetectable, nitrite is undetectable, and nitrate is about 20!!! Hooray! I'm doing another 15 gallon water change today, and will put my Coral Beauty Angel in there probably Sunday afternoon!!!

Paul

Old 03-24-2006, 10:24 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

I might still give it a week or so to make sure the tank is stable. The coral beauty is relatively hardy, though. Hope you are having fun.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com