the beach

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sillyfishy

Aquarium Advice Regular
This is kinda a dumb question and I know the answer is most likely no, but I live in New england and I'm at the beach alot, would it be bad to put things like snails, hermit crabs, starfish or urchins in my tank after being qt for a while?

I dont know if it is bad or not but i can tell ya i wouldnt be able to resist doing it :D

Hi sillyfishy,

I live in New Hampshire, and while I admit that it's tempting, the stuff that comes from the water around here isn't going to survive in our tanks - their natural habitat is much too cold. If you wanted to create a New England biotope and maintain the water at 50F - 60F, you might be able to do that, but you wouldn't be able to keep the 'normally availble' reef fish & inverts.

I settle for always having a free supply of empty hermit shells. :)

I agree I think you would have to have a cold water setup with a chiller. I live in RI but I went to This Save the Bay place in MD on vacation and they had a great cold water setup. Small stripers,Bluefish, hermits, snails, flounder, Etc. It was really cool to see. Love the helmet GO PATS!!!!

I picked up a few crabs and hermits at Hampton beach one is in my hospital tank cuz he's big and scary and there is a little crab in my big tank. He seems to be ok. The hermits didn't last 2 seconds with my strawberry psedo.He pulles them right out of their shells. I've had the crabs for almost a month. I think I might bring the big one back, hes molted once and he's gotten bigger. He's scary and he's ugly. I don't want him to live in that little tank forever. 8O 8O 8O
I hope taking things from the beach is legal here!!

It would be cool if you could just pull them outta the water and put them in your tank. But I'm not sure if it would be such a good idea.

Back
Top Bottom