THE best pic EVER ! (reefrunner you'll love it ) :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As it turns out, I have a couple of these that hitchhiked on the LR. What kind of crab is it? and what is the danger? I guess they went after your peppermint shrimp, but what else is at risk? So far, I have a couple of clowns and a cleaner shrimp. Will the crabs go after a fireshrimp, perhaps?

Of course, perhaps the two of them can duke it out with the two mantis shrimps that hitchhiked as well.

Matt

I think this is abominable.

You should have tried to see if you could have atleast given him away for free to the LFS.

If nothing else, you could have done a mercy killing, Now it had to suffer through the shock of being put into fresh water of a totaly different temputure and suffer until it died.

I fail to see anything funny about this. :evil: :evil: :evil:

William said:
I think this is abominable.

You should have tried to see if you could have atleast given him away for free to the LFS.

If nothing else, you could have done a mercy killing, Now it had to suffer through the shock of being put into fresh water of a totaly different temputure and suffer until it died.

I fail to see anything funny about this. :evil: :evil: :evil:

Sorry Billy, get over it....

I think there is a line to be drawn somewhere. Not sure where it is, I can't say I've never convicted a hitchiker to death, but I know it's not something I tried to glorify. I was humane in the way I ridded the world of the critter, I personally go in for the iced SW method of euthanasia, rather than the flushing method, and I don't post about it. I think it is important to keep in mind, that these are living creatures that have not done anything wrong by their standards, sure they might be wreaking havoc in your tank, but your the one that yanked them out of the ocean and put them there, (even if indirectly, by simply purchasing the LR), they are just doing their thing. With that in mind I try to remove the critter and put it in the fuge, or put it in the sump, or as jamal-188 does, feed it to a predator (who is just doing his thing, they gotta eat to), or as mentioned above, if one of the other options doesn't work out, I euthanize the animal, humanely.

The "get over it" comment, is rediculous. I certainly hope he doesn't get over the ability to care for the life of any of the critters in our tanks.

All that said, realize that at this time, morals and ethics aside, there is nothing wrong with disposing of a hitchiker in your tank, methods to do it are debatable, but please keep your indignation in mind the next time you squish that ant that's biting you or suck that spider into the vacuum cleaner when your getting the cob webs out of your house.

It was a crab, I am so very sorry I flushed him, next time I will do something more "humane". That crab was evading me for days of me trying to catch him. I finally caught him and I Was happy, I know how much reefrunner doesn't like crabs so I took the pic of the crab in the John... some though it was ok, others feel I was killing their first born...
Lesson learned, TRUST ME, lesson learned...

I suppose you guys don't want to hear about the possum that got into our house and my roommate killed with a pellit gun. I have pics if anyone is interested.

Makes me not want to post I got some Joes Juice coming in the mail and I'm gonna nuke some Apiatsia ! OR should I put those in a tank of their own too?

reefrunner69 said:
I think there is a line to be drawn somewhere. Not sure where it is, I can't say I've never convicted a hitchiker to death, but I know it's not something I tried to glorify. I was humane in the way I ridded the world of the critter, I personally go in for the iced SW method of euthanasia, rather than the flushing method, and I don't post about it. I think it is important to keep in mind, that these are living creatures that have not done anything wrong by their standards, sure they might be wreaking havoc in your tank, but your the one that yanked them out of the ocean and put them there, (even if indirectly, by simply purchasing the LR), they are just doing their thing. With that in mind I try to remove the critter and put it in the fuge, or put it in the sump, or as jamal-188 does, feed it to a predator (who is just doing his thing, they gotta eat to), or as mentioned above, if one of the other options doesn't work out, I euthanize the animal, humanely.

The "get over it" comment, is rediculous. I certainly hope he doesn't get over the ability to care for the life of any of the critters in our tanks.

All that said, realize that at this time, morals and ethics aside, there is nothing wrong with disposing of a hitchiker in your tank, methods to do it are debatable, but please keep your indignation in mind the next time you squish that ant that's biting you or suck that spider into the vacuum cleaner when your getting the cob webs out of your house.

I enjoy letting critters live in my house, as long as they do not directly get in my way, Which they don't. The only fear they have from getting in my way is being accidentally stepped on. They were here first, They'll be here last.

The way I see it I'm just renting this space from them. :)

and I agree, There is a fine line between ridding yourself of a nuisance and glorifying and showing a blatent uncaring disregaurd for the torturous death it was forced into for doing nothing more than having its home ripped from the sea so it could find its way into a tank.

This is a hard & hot topic which has been debated at length here before, I did end up trying to catch mine for over a week but with no luck. I tried two diff home made traps and a store bought but still no luck. I have since lost 5 peppermint, 2 reef chromis and actually caught the little bugger in the act of trying to catch my purple tang... So, I realized that I have put some creatures at abnormal risks by putting them with other creatures they might not encounter in the wild. Therefore, he had to go. Right or wrong I could not catch him so I ended up stabbing him with a shishkabob screwer?? Are we upset that it was killed or the way in which is was done? I am not sure my method as any better if you ask the crab... What is one to do in these situations??

William said:
reefrunner69 said:

I enjoy letting critters live in my house, as long as they do not directly get in my way, Which they don't. The only fear they have from getting in my way is being accidentally stepped on. They were here first, They'll be here last.

The way I see it I'm just renting this space from them. :)

and I agree, There is a fine line between ridding yourself of a nuisance and glorifying and showing a blatent uncaring disregaurd for the torturous death it was forced into for doing nothing more than having its home ripped from the sea so it could find its way into a tank.

I agree, and just for the record, I did not "get off" on flushing the dam crab ! Sorry I took the pic !

Well Im glad you took the pic. I was fighting mad with my Fav LFS for selling me a monster version of the emeralds I thought I had bought. I was wondering if I had a radiation leak at my house. ( if you saw my dog youd understand..) Anyway, since my emeralds disappeared and these appeared I naturally thought they were one in the same. I would never have linked the two without this thread so thanks to all....

This got me thinking (which is a scary thought in it self). Isn't keeping an ocean caught fish in your home aquarium (which some of you out there do) an inhumane thing. This poor little fish goes from having the entire ocean to swim in, to being kept in a glass box. Kind of like Nemo.

Back
Top Bottom