Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 05-11-2004, 03:51 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Freak
This is a hard & hot topic which has been debated at length here before, I did end up trying to catch mine for over a week but with no luck. I tried two diff home made traps and a store bought but still no luck. I have since lost 5 peppermint, 2 reef chromis and actually caught the little bugger in the act of trying to catch my purple tang... So, I realized that I have put some creatures at abnormal risks by putting them with other creatures they might not encounter in the wild. Therefore, he had to go. Right or wrong I could not catch him so I ended up stabbing him with a shishkabob screwer?? Are we upset that it was killed or the way in which is was done? I am not sure my method as any better if you ask the crab... What is one to do in these situations??

Act on your impulses.. You'll feel good now & it will give you something to regret later!!
reefobsessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 03:59 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via AIM to XXFirefighter Send a message via Yahoo to XXFirefighter
Originally Posted by William
Originally Posted by reefrunner69
I think there is a line to be drawn somewhere. Not sure where it is, I can't say I've never convicted a hitchiker to death, but I know it's not something I tried to glorify. I was humane in the way I ridded the world of the critter, I personally go in for the iced SW method of euthanasia, rather than the flushing method, and I don't post about it. I think it is important to keep in mind, that these are living creatures that have not done anything wrong by their standards, sure they might be wreaking havoc in your tank, but your the one that yanked them out of the ocean and put them there, (even if indirectly, by simply purchasing the LR), they are just doing their thing. With that in mind I try to remove the critter and put it in the fuge, or put it in the sump, or as jamal-188 does, feed it to a predator (who is just doing his thing, they gotta eat to), or as mentioned above, if one of the other options doesn't work out, I euthanize the animal, humanely.

The "get over it" comment, is rediculous. I certainly hope he doesn't get over the ability to care for the life of any of the critters in our tanks.

All that said, realize that at this time, morals and ethics aside, there is nothing wrong with disposing of a hitchiker in your tank, methods to do it are debatable, but please keep your indignation in mind the next time you squish that ant that's biting you or suck that spider into the vacuum cleaner when your getting the cob webs out of your house.
I enjoy letting critters live in my house, as long as they do not directly get in my way, Which they don't. The only fear they have from getting in my way is being accidentally stepped on. They were here first, They'll be here last.

The way I see it I'm just renting this space from them.

and I agree, There is a fine line between ridding yourself of a nuisance and glorifying and showing a blatent uncaring disregaurd for the torturous death it was forced into for doing nothing more than having its home ripped from the sea so it could find its way into a tank.
I agree, and just for the record, I did not "get off" on flushing the dam crab ! Sorry I took the pic !

XXFirefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 04:11 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Freak
Well Im glad you took the pic. I was fighting mad with my Fav LFS for selling me a monster version of the emeralds I thought I had bought. I was wondering if I had a radiation leak at my house. ( if you saw my dog youd understand..) Anyway, since my emeralds disappeared and these appeared I naturally thought they were one in the same. I would never have linked the two without this thread so thanks to all....
Act on your impulses.. You'll feel good now & it will give you something to regret later!!
reefobsessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 08:33 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Regular
This got me thinking (which is a scary thought in it self). Isn't keeping an ocean caught fish in your home aquarium (which some of you out there do) an inhumane thing. This poor little fish goes from having the entire ocean to swim in, to being kept in a glass box. Kind of like Nemo.
Oafboy182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 08:35 PM   #35
AA Team Emeritus
Yep, many consider it that way

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote

pic, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com