Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-02-2005, 12:12 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

The Brown Cycle

I was reading a thread on starting a tank and someone mentioned the brown cycle. My rocks are getting a brown furry like substance on them and it is spreading through out the tank. I was told to get some snails and hermits to contain it by someone on this site but after speaking to the local fish store they said the phosphates are probably high. Looking for suggestions on this issue.

Old 09-02-2005, 12:32 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Brodie
Did you just recently setup your tank? If so, how long ago? Have you gotten your water tested, if so, what are the levels? Sounds like a Diatom bloom to me..pretty normal for new tanks.

Old 09-02-2005, 01:23 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

If it blows off the rock it is diatoms and is a very normal part of tank startup. The algae will burn itself out. Not to worry.

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 01:48 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Someone said diatoms before but the LFS said it wasn't. I followed the advice of the person on this site that recommended snail and hermits. WOW! Do those suckers love to eat. "Literally" I think the snails do a much more thorough job but they seem to leave a lot more waste. It is very fun to watch the hermits go after it. They can't shovel it in fast enough. Thanks for the advice!!!

What should I expect next? My tank is about one month old and I've added live rock and have 2 damsels and 1 clown fish. What will happen after the brown cycle?
Old 09-03-2005, 02:46 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Brodie
It will eventually go away. Just keep an eye on your water parameters and don't overfeed your fish.

Tags
cycle

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com