The Brown Cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

imustbenuts

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was reading a thread on starting a tank and someone mentioned the brown cycle. My rocks are getting a brown furry like substance on them and it is spreading through out the tank. I was told to get some snails and hermits to contain it by someone on this site but after speaking to the local fish store they said the phosphates are probably high. Looking for suggestions on this issue.

Did you just recently setup your tank? If so, how long ago? Have you gotten your water tested, if so, what are the levels? Sounds like a Diatom bloom to me..pretty normal for new tanks.

If it blows off the rock it is diatoms and is a very normal part of tank startup. The algae will burn itself out. Not to worry.

Someone said diatoms before but the LFS said it wasn't. I followed the advice of the person on this site that recommended snail and hermits. WOW! Do those suckers love to eat. "Literally" I think the snails do a much more thorough job but they seem to leave a lot more waste. It is very fun to watch the hermits go after it. They can't shovel it in fast enough. Thanks for the advice!!!

What should I expect next? My tank is about one month old and I've added live rock and have 2 damsels and 1 clown fish. What will happen after the brown cycle?

Back
Top Bottom