the entire can of flake dumped into the tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Magnus

Aquarium Advice Activist
So went away on vacation for a week...had a friend look after the pets and such around the house. I supplement my salt water tank's frozen food with flake. I left instructions for feeding.

We came home last night, and I fed the saltwater fish with the flake. Except...the lid slid off (as though it was unscrewed) and the entire can of flake dumped into the tank.

I got out as much as I could, but the resultant ammonia spike has now wiped out all of my fish.

What I know for certain is that prior to going on vacation, this has never happened to me before, and the lid was tight on the can of flake. My "buddy", is claiming ignorance.

I've done a 50% water change, and removed what dead fish I could find.

My question now is how often should I do water changes, and how much? Will my coraline algae, mushrooms, leather corral, hermit crabs, and brittle star be affected?

Five years of a balanced tank right out the window due to incompetence.

Last edited by a moderator:
How frequently should I do the changes?

RO water. I just checked the tank again...everything is dead. This is the worst feeling I have had in a long time.

Thanks. I'll do one a day for the next 3 days, and grab a carbon filter.

I'm essentially starting over again...this sucks.

Wow. Very sorry to hear that bro. I didnt know that a large amount of flake food could cause an amonia spike within 24hrs. YIKES

OMG this is like my worst nightmare in fish keeping! I have only been at it for a couple years, but having an accident happen and losing all your fish and not being able to do much about it has to be the WORST!

Condolences. It is hard loosing a fish let alone the whole tank. Sucks that it came down to something you do brainlessly everyday by shaking food a few times into tank.

We take care of these fish better than most people do their dogs. I feel for ya and I'm sure you will recover and tank will flourish again. I wish you the best maybe consider a tank maintaining company next time? I know I only trust 1 person with my tank. ME!!!!

Yeah...lesson learned. I just feel terrible. Those animals relied on me, and I feel like I let them down. Well, I guess I did...but it's such a stupid thing to have happened. I'll let you all know what happens in the next few days. I am going to do a 50% change tommorow, and the next day, and go from there.

I may start a 2nd tank, a larger one, since I wanted to upgrade in the future, but we'll see. Thanks for all your support and advice, that was much needed and appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom