The eternal search for the right Powerhead(s)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ZacksFlowerhorn123

Aquarium Advice Activist
Allright.. I curently have 28 gallon saltwater tank(buying corals next week) 1 marineland 200, 1 aqua clear 20-40 filter, 1 Koralia 425 nano Ph, and 1 Petco 225gph PH.

I want to keep lps and soft corals.(im not getting a sump for a while or a protein skimmer(I do 20% WC once a week)

Ok my options are either return the Petco powerhead($20) and get a really high gph Maxi jet Marineland on Amazon(around $20)

OR......

Return the Koralia nano and the Petco powerhead, and get a really high gph Koralia/ Maxijet...

(getting another powerhead in adittion to the other 2 is not an option since im young and its my parents money(im in dept by $600+) so ive gotta use the money ive spent on them

I just dont feel theres enough flow for the corals i wanna keep?(brain po/yps, etc)

I have a rock pile(stacked straight up) going through the midde of my whole tank. The petco powerhead is in the back bottom of the tank. And the koralia is in the front bottom.

So placement for the new powerheads ill be exchanging mine for is appreciated! Sorry for:banghead: the long message!(ive only had the powerheads for like a week and am not impressed)

I kinda justbwanna return the 2 phs for 1 Koralia that can handle the whole tank and make a wave lkke movement at the top of the tank all at the same time? Please help!

vortech pumps are the best but pricey. Check out the mp10

Squidy07 said:
vortech pumps are the best but pricey. Check out the mp10

Haha, yeah and if you don't need the other arm or leg, I'll take 'em.
I would return the Petco one and get another Maxi-jet, it would be sufficient for your needs and especially your budget!!

Nooooo way! Over $200!! I was thinking 1 koralia 1400 by itself. Would this work? It would turn the tank over 50 times. How should i position it?

One would probably work, but I was thinking that two, opposed to each other might give the current some randomness. Just a thought. :)

Well id keep the koralia in the front and put the maxi 1200 in the back botttom pointing at the top. You can angle the maxijets right?

Yes, they come with an attachment to the outflow to direct water upward and angled to the sides. I have 4-1200's in my tank, and they will push a decent amount of water the full 6 feet of my tank. My returns push a lot of water, so the 1200's have been sufficient.

Ok so last questions are what angle should i have it and the koralia at? The tank is 24 inches long 15 deep, and 13 inches wide. It wont bother my ocellairis clown will it? Jw

Wow 61 times turnover. Hope my ocellairis wont mind......... Thats really my bi*gest question... I will also be keeping a firefish goby, blenny/ goby, and a fromia star.

No it won't bother the clown, he might like some movement. I would put them towards the bottom, on either side, angled up to meet in the middle. In front of your rocks. But this is something you will have to experiment with, to find the optimal positioning for your tank and rockscape.
Best of luck, Flowerhorn.

ZacksFlowerhorn123 said:
Wow 61 times turnover. Hope my ocellairis wont mind......... Thats really my bi*gest question... I will also be keeping a firefish goby, blenny/ goby, and a fromia star.

With 61 times turnover your corals will mind especially if they are being blasted. Most softies and some lps dont handle high direct flow very well. I suggest keeping the 425 koralia and getting another either a 550 or 750. No one can tell you how to position. The science of position is to eliminate as many dead spots as possible so experiment.

How is it 61 times turnover? The 1200 pushes about 265 gph, not 1200!! That's just the model number.....

Zack, you need to check your specs, it wouldn't be 61 times turnover. A 1200 is not 1200gph, it's like 270gph...

Back
Top Bottom