The Goniapora coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Loftyfiasco

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi guys. Picked one of these up today. (I know they are hard to keep but was a good deal) question. How long do the take to open? Mine has been closed for 8 hours now?

Very hard to keep and being that your tank is 10 days old, way too quick to introduce one. JMO.

BTW, 1 thread would suffice (not 3).

Apologies. It's only two threads. iPhone did something weird. Not sure how to delete a threaf So are you saying it may not open at all?

The Goniapora coral - Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community

Goniapora coral - Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community

goniopora coral - Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community

I am saying it may be difficult. I know your tank cycled quick, but you are adding alot of stuff quickly. You might be ok, since they are corals, they are very low bioload. But, they need good and stable water conditions. Your tank will go through changes for the first 6 months or so. Don't go this fast adding fish or you are setting yourself up for disaster.

Cheers. Yeah as mentioned in my build thread. I'm focusing on corals. No rush for fish at all. Levels are still stable and will continue to do a 10% weekly water change. Personally I think that's a sensible way to go. My question tonight was really if it will open or if it's something I should return? Do they sometimes take a day or do to open?

Alot of times new corals will take a day or two to open. If the light is wrong (too little or too much) they will not open for extended periods. Same with flow, too much or too little will make it mad too. If it doesnt open in a couple days, I would move it up or down in the tank and see if that helps. Here is the link to live aquaria that tells about this coral.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=597+321+466&pcatid=466

Certainly will. Before u go. Can I ask your for your thoughts on focusing and adding plenty of coral early on. My two LFS that I have been going to for years say its fine as long as water changes are done regularly. Is there a negative to this? Can u have too much coral?

I just think the more you pack in there you need to research extensively. Some corals will sting or kill others when fighting for property. They are like fish in some respects. Many will co exist peacefully, others wont, so placement is important. Water changes are very important and the use of a good reef salt mix. The more corals you have, the more they deplete the essential elements in the water, making water changes very important. They need the elements in the salt mix to build themselves.

Gotcha. Well I will defo research more before buying more thoughts on green torches?

I do 10% water change every week. I buy saltwater from my LFS and the only problem I've run into is that my salinity gets high. Other than that my parameters are perfect. Good luck

So it's day 3 and looks like this. Will only extend a cm at best. Any ideas how long it will take to be happy enough to extend fully?

Attachments

• image-261113664.jpg
    image-261113664.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 150
Back
Top Bottom