Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-23-2005, 12:29 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The Great crab escape??

I had a recent episode where a hitchhiker rock crab was killing off my snails and hermits. He was hard to catch but i got him with a trap i made and then threw him into my sump. Today, i see him playing about the rocks in my main tank AGAIN!!! Luckily, he was sitting in this fake coral thing i have and i was able to pick that up quickly and move him back to the sump. Do these crabs find ways back to the main tank through the pipping? Or is that highly unlikely and i probably just have another one?

If he did find a way back into the main, he would have had to go through a physical filter that's too high for him to reach anyways, and then through my mag 9.5 pump(ouch) and up into the main. I guess he could have somehow got into the bubble trap as well but that's too high for him as well. Then he would have had to crawl up the drain pipe with water rushing down. I'm confused

Old 11-23-2005, 02:04 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Maybe there is more than one hitchhiker in there. Yikes..... LOL.

Old 11-23-2005, 04:27 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

everytime i though i had the last crab another one showed up. and i know they didnt make it back from the sump. i have caught at least 6 from 40lbs of live rock

steve r
Old 11-23-2005, 04:47 PM   #4
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I agree it probably has more than one in it

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 04:54 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Has to be more than one. I will probably never catch all my crabs. One way I have caught several is I have one of the gripper claws. If I know where the crab is hanging out I will pinch some flake food in the claw and hold it near its hole. It will come out and start eating the food. Slowly open the claw about 1/4" and it will stick its claw in to get the food then grab its claw. I have had about a 70% success with this so far.
Old 11-23-2005, 04:55 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

hmmmm, these crabs don't make clicking sounds do they? I will hear a clicking sound sometimes, not ver often, but usually when it does happen, it will be one click at a time, and maybe 4-5 clicks over a span of about 10mintues. I have a lot of snails and thought maybe it was their shells hitting the glass, but it almost happens too often for that to be the case. I'm wondering if it's not the rock crabs that are doing that.
Old 11-23-2005, 05:17 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
it will be one click at a time, and maybe 4-5 clicks over a span of about 10mintues
Sounds like a pistol or mantis shrimp to me.
Old 11-23-2005, 05:31 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

crap, i think i would have seen a pistol shrimp by now cause they aren't very illusive, so that leaves a mantis shrimp. Those are bad right? Everythign i've read says they're evil. But i've never seen it if that's what it is? Are they really really good at hiding or something?
Old 11-23-2005, 05:37 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Everythign i've read says they're evil.
Depends on who you listen to. I some some in my tank and have not had any deaths from them. I do not know for sure it is a mantis or pistol though. I have set traps several times but always catch a crab.
Old 11-23-2005, 05:39 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenn
Are they really really good at hiding or something?
YES they are! I heard the one in my tank for months before finally spotting him and spent several more months trying to catch or trap. It finally got into my overflow and I was able to catch it. All total over a year from first hearing to final removal.

Tags
cap, crab, eat

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com