The ideal tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fireworks

Aquarium Advice Activist
I may be in the market for a new tank soon as we might be moving this summer. I would like to switch from my current 150gal 48x30x24 to a 72x24x24. My question is what would be the ideal tank as far as material (glass or acrylic) overflow style and bracing (euro or standard) This will be a reef tank with my current sump and all equipment. If you could pick the ultimate tank, what would it be? Thanks.

Glass does indeed scratch, just not as easily. I prefer acrylic for large aquaria due to its light weight, clarity (starfire glass is an option), and easier to customize. Buffering scratches isn't exactly rocket science either ;) I would look into the external overflow, often termed "coast to coast" along with a closed loop design which would leave your tank void of any visual obstructions including powerheads.

I agree with Innovator, glass can scratch and they are usually permanent. Acrylic is the way to go with large tanks. The "coast-to-coast" overflow is awesome and really frees up space in the tank plus you get maximum suface skimming. If I were putting in a large tank over 210g I would go with acrylic.

Oh, I didn't know anything about them so thanks for letting me know the difference! Pretty cool stuff. Do you have a link on an external one?

Here is an easy to read article on the coast to coast:
BeanAnimal's Bar and Grill - Silent and Fail-Safe Overflow System

Thanks for the recomendation of my site. It may not be the "ideal" setup, but it works well for me. I needed dead silence and safety. You can easily achieve a safe or fail-safe overflow in other manners, but many of them compromise silence in the process.

No matter what you end up doing, look hard at using a coast to coast (A.K.A. Calfo) overflow. External will save you a bit of room in the tank, but either way (internal or external) they are far superior to other styles of overflows.

what are you going to put in it?

Hey Fireworks, it sounds like you are going to drop some serious $$$ on this tank. I am really excited for you. What are you going to put in it - LPS reef, SPS, biotope? I am looking to upgrade too & love the livestock that I have, but dont want to have a $10,000 tank and have a bunch of $10-30 fish in it.

Hey Fireworks, it sounds like you are going to drop some serious $$$ on this tank. I am really excited for you. What are you going to put in it - LPS reef, SPS, biotope? I am looking to upgrade too & love the livestock that I have, but dont want to have a $10,000 tank and have a bunch of $10-30 fish in it.

I am just going to transfer my current livestock which is all LPS and one clam to this new tank. I may be moving and would like to set up the new tank in the new house then bring everything over when it's up and running. My problem is I can't replace anything without upgrading it. If i'm going with a new tank it might as well be reef ready, while i'm at it why not go bigger? and so on. Nobody accused this hobby of being cheap!:-? Anyway thanks everyone for ideas, my only other question, is Starfire glass worth the money? Thanks again. Jamie

Back
Top Bottom