Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 11-13-2009, 07:05 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
Even two months of not using it shouldnt have had that much build up in it, it takes a while for that to build up on city water.

what else is supplied off that water line? they connect somewhere in your house, find the closest faucet, turn the water off at the main coming into your house, and backflush your lines, just open the one closest to that spiggot you used to hook your unit up to.

Ive done ALOT of plumbing work with my grandfather and even the cabin with city water we didnt use for over two years didnt have any build up in it.

what color is the water coming out of that supply line? I think your unit is messed up not your line, every time you use water in your house it pressurizes the lines and always has fresh water in it. Im just saying two months will not cause a build up like that, even with well water( unless its a very rusty well then you got more issues then worrying about a RO/DI unit)

I had a 3 filter RO/DI unit for about 10 years in my house, I recently ripped it out and threw it away(mainly due to being outdated and filters and resin were really hard to find for this unit) I just buy spring water now for 39c a gallon, fish seem to respond to this water better.

The only pipes I know to turn sediment orange is iron, copper turns green and brass does as well( I think brass does, I havnt seen that used on residential plumbing in a long time.

That's not a planted tank. That's a jungle with glass around it- MFDROOKIE Circa 2011
WhiteDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 10:15 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak
Normally thats true Whitedevil,
But things can churn the sediment in the street mains like fire hydrants, city pumps, fire sprinklers, etc. If you turn on the tap you pull it into your house piping. Flushing the pipes will rule any more debris from the lines as an issue. Then he can focus on the unit.

jim692 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 05:23 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict
Usually its settled and its only stained water that comes out. They must have replaced a main somewhere on his supply to kick that much up in that short amount of time.

I know turning the tap on but there should have been enough backpressure to wash the sediment into the other faucets.

Did you(thread author) notice any discoloration since sept coming out of other faucets?
That's not a planted tank. That's a jungle with glass around it- MFDROOKIE Circa 2011
WhiteDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 05:33 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic
All that debate aside, I'm not convinced that the RO unit is undamaged, although I will concede the possibility that bad water was the cause of the damage. The DI resin is not supposed to be doing all the deionizing - the RO membrane should remove nearly all the ions. Significant breakthrough suggests to me that the membrane may be punctured, possibly due to rust particles. Replacement of the resin will tell you real fast if that's the case, so keep us updated.
gzeiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 10:55 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic
I went to one marine-only dealer on Friday and they don't carry the Pure-Flo II unit or membranes, so I tried the Big Al's on the way home from work. The person I talked to there didn't know what an RO/DI unit was. I showed her the same unit in the corner of the store and she couldn't find any extra filters. I thought I would have had to get them online but I called the west-end Big Al's and they had one DI filter in stock.

I bought the filter yesterday and have run the faucet (flushing the water outside using the garden hose) and have replaced the filter and have run the unit for about an hour. The DI gel is as green as it was when it went into the unit.

I'm now filling up my pop bottles so that I can do top-ups on my tank. I usually go through about 4L of RO/DI water per day. As we move into winter here the air gets extremely dry, which will speed up the evaporation.

There had to be something in that initial surge of water from the tap that passed the main membranes. Perhaps it was a build-up of metals in the tube...who knows. It seems fine after it's been flushed.

Jaybird is offline   Reply With Quote

ro/di, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com