The Jumpers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pkremer

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi there, I have just purchased an Orbit 36" 192W lighting system for my 46-gallon bow!
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=11348&N=2004+113345

I believe this is intended to be used without a top on the aquarium, so I will probably not want fish that are known to jump!

I have a Coral Beauty in QT right now, and would like to have 2 tank raised false percula clownfish. I assume none of these will jump...I would like to have another fish or 2...what fish should I avoid?

Paul

My 36" Coralife 192W light fixture actually says in the instructions to place it directly on top of a clear cover. I've been doing that for over 8 months without any problems. The glass top gets pretty warm, but not "burn your hand" warm. Mine has built-in fans. Does the Orbit model have them?

There are several known "jumpers" It would be easier to pick a fish you are considering and then find out if it is a jumper or not. The worst I have personally seen are the pinkbar gobies.

Firefish are professional long jumpers. I had a pair of them fly out of a bucket i was acclimating them in while i was trying to net them...one landed into the sink and then flipped into the garbage disposal. I have since made a mental note to close the drain when netting new fish over the sink. I was feeling pretty good about my firefish rescue episode, until i decided to rearrange my aquascape and one of them jumped like...4 feet out and to the right of the tank. I still don't know how he got the right angle to fly out the way he did. He must have glanced off of the wall. In any case, he must have really been traveling quickly when he jumped so i would say avoid firefish because they really can jump if they get scarred.

8O Hummm....I have 3 firefish. 2 purple and one red. I have never seen them jump. I guess this is what the forum is for.

Any fish is sort of a risk. Firefish and wrasses seem to hold gold and silver in the carpet surfing olypics. I have a purple firefish in my 72 topless tank and have not had a problem. The fish you listed should be okay, but not out of the relm of possibility.

I have a new theory on fish that jump. I think if the fish have somewhere to hide and feel safe then they will not want to jump. I think fish that jump are ones that get startled and just "swim" to safty, and since we have aquariums, the swimming water ends.

I have had a few jumpers and have one purple firefish now. Before they had no where to hid, now there are multiple places to hide (and actually the fish has a home that he sleeps in at night). When I get close or put my hand in the tank and startle him he will go to his home. He has never been near the top except feeding time.

yellow watchman gobie and clarki clowns - both carpet surfers

the Clarki surfed twice - once I was there to scoop him up and the last time .... well.....

Back
Top Bottom