Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-17-2014, 06:06 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holygral View Post
its not picking on him, it about making better choices, the same as people asking about rodi unit. LED's is the future for the $ he spent he would have been way ahead with led's. 3-5 years from now he will be buying LED's, so the money he spent today will have to be spent again. He paid $500 for a fixture and now another $180 of new bulbs. Send the whole thing back and go LED's and be done with it. Wish I would have asked and listen to fellow reefers 10 years ago, I would be a lot richer,...........ok so Im not rich but maybe I wouldn't have to find ways to eat mysis soup every night
Yeah man, I'm new to the hobby and I can tell I'll never regreat my first light fixture (R420R 60w nano 16000k)

Old 03-17-2014, 06:39 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerinanyon View Post
Just got a 6 bulb T5 light fixture from aquatic life for 450$. Now I heard these bulbs suck so I'm buying new bulbs. How does the combination blue plus, coral plus, blue plus, blue plus, coral plus, blue plus sound? Anyone have pictures or experience with these for color?
I'm not a fan of the coral plus. I prefer Aquablue Special. I think you are going to have too much blue without a true daylight lamp or two in the mix.

Old 03-17-2014, 06:40 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

I'll keep the 10k and 1 coral plus. 4 blue plus. And see how that looks if its going to be too blue with the coral plus x2
Old 03-17-2014, 10:33 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

Personally I'm not a big fan of the way most LEDs look
Old 03-17-2014, 11:44 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

I feel like having both is the way to go. I finally picked up a stand today for the tank (72 bowfront). Time to make the refugium out of a 20 gal freshwater tank I used to have.
Old 03-18-2014, 12:07 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

The aquablue specials are still blue-ish but has more white in it than the coral plus does, which is still technically a "white" just a deeper blue than the aquablues specials. The blue plus ones are ALL blue so I agree with the above, you might need more "white" in the tank.

When I had my big t5 unit I had 4 aquablue specials, 4 blue pluses and 2 purple pluses and found it cast too much of a purple hue rather than a blue hue. I ended up going with an even split of specials and blue pluses.
This is the split 50/50 whites and blues

Still looking for a shot of the purple bulbs lol

Old 03-18-2014, 12:11 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Found it! There is alot of coralline on the rock but it looks silly with the extra purple plus bulbs. Keep in mind the huge difference and that its only 2 bulbs out of 12 that were purple pluses and I got this much purple.

Old 03-18-2014, 12:46 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey View Post
The aquablue specials are still blue-ish but has more white in it than the coral plus does, which is still technically a "white" just a deeper blue than the aquablues specials. The blue plus ones are ALL blue so I agree with the above, you might need more "white" in the tank.

When I had my big t5 unit I had 4 aquablue specials, 4 blue pluses and 2 purple pluses and found it cast too much of a purple hue rather than a blue hue. I ended up going with an even split of specials and blue pluses.
This is the split 50/50 whites and blues

Still looking for a shot of the purple bulbs lol

A very nice clean tank! I want a bit more of a blue tint though. Which is why I want 4 blue
Old 03-18-2014, 02:54 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Activist

Casey I like the purple tint to the tank! Maybe a coral +, purple+, and 4 blue+

Tags
light, lighting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com