Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-17-2014, 12:05 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

The lighting

Just got a 6 bulb T5 light fixture from aquatic life for 450$. Now I heard these bulbs suck so I'm buying new bulbs. How does the combination blue plus, coral plus, blue plus, blue plus, coral plus, blue plus sound? Anyone have pictures or experience with these for color?

Old 03-17-2014, 05:55 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Just curious why spend that kind of money and not get LED's? Never change bulbs, ramp up and down, full control and less heat and energy

Old 03-17-2014, 09:11 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah, at that price you could have gotten some amazing LED's, and it would cost less in the future.
Old 03-17-2014, 11:11 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Reef experts tell me how amazing t5's are for coral growth and that they are hard to get ratings for. They recomend t5s. And I'm also adding a strip of LEDs
Old 03-17-2014, 12:20 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

T5s also run your electricity and require yearly bulb changes. They work but those reef experts are probably old schoolers who refuse to see the light. Leds grow corals and grow them well
bribo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 01:57 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

For that money I would have invested into a hightech LED setup with programmable Dimmer.

T5 don't suck, but require a lot of power and heat a bit, and need replacement each years. You would have saved money with the LEDS.
Old 03-17-2014, 02:39 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

aww leave the guy alone lol. He already bought it and it will definitely produce enough light for him to grow anything he wants.

I happen to still like my t5s too so dont feel bad. hehe

Anyways. I go with an even split of blue plus and aquablue specials. The purple plus ones give off a purple hue I dont like and the coral ones will be more blue than the aquablues but not as blue as the blue plus.
Old 03-17-2014, 02:54 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

its not picking on him, it about making better choices, the same as people asking about rodi unit. LED's is the future for the $ he spent he would have been way ahead with led's. 3-5 years from now he will be buying LED's, so the money he spent today will have to be spent again. He paid $500 for a fixture and now another $180 of new bulbs. Send the whole thing back and go LED's and be done with it. Wish I would have asked and listen to fellow reefers 10 years ago, I would be a lot richer,...........ok so Im not rich but maybe I wouldn't have to find ways to eat mysis soup every night
Old 03-17-2014, 05:52 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I run t5's still on some tanks and leds on others. To be 100% honest, I have issues with the intensity of the leds and have never ever had an issue with t5's. You can tweak the color of the light by changing the bulbs out too.
I do agree about the leds being better as far as long term cost and energy savings, thats clearly a plus but great tanks can and still are being kept with t5's.
I just hated how everyone just bashed the OP and told him to return them or he made a mistake. Perhaps the op is going into this with his eyes open and just wants the t5's?
Old 03-17-2014, 06:05 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey View Post
I run t5's still on some tanks and leds on others. To be 100% honest, I have issues with the intensity of the leds and have never ever had an issue with t5's. You can tweak the color of the light by changing the bulbs out too.
I do agree about the leds being better as far as long term cost and energy savings, thats clearly a plus but great tanks can and still are being kept with t5's.
I just hated how everyone just bashed the OP and told him to return them or he made a mistake. Perhaps the op is going into this with his eyes open and just wants the t5's?
Led penetrate water much more than T5 when we talk about PAR values. For this reason you shouldn't put the leds at 100% when you recieve it. I can't run my LED fixture over 55%Blue 55%White on my 20g, or my corals tend to bleach... But it's always fun to know I can turn them brighter. It give buffer for fine tuning.

Tags
light, lighting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com