the monsters that live in the sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

justin_tyme

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm experiencing something funny: in a corner of my tank, where water circulation is at a minimum, there's an area about 1/2 inch wide beside a large rock (which is acting as a shield from the upper powerhead) that runs along the side of the tank.

What happens here? Any kind of detritus, might that be a molt, food scraps or whatever, gets "sucked" into the crushed coral bed, deep into it. I can see the remains of this stuff from the side glass.

I thought I was just making this up myself, but a few days ago a little fragment of caulerpa got trapped there, and now one end of it is stuck into the gravel like it's diving into it. And it is, because it gets shorter by the day.

Do I have mysterious monsters that live in the sand or is it just some kind of suction effect? Problem is the area is so narrow I will never be able to syphon there unless I move a rock (which is so out of the question).

The low flow area is where you detritus will settle, as worms and pods etc move through the sand bed the detritus is pulled to the bottom of the bed.

Back
Top Bottom