The one year mark and then...disaster.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Krypt

Aquarium Advice FINatic
A couple weeks ago my tank passed the one year mark and everything was going perfect! Then, last night, the heater failed to turn off at some point and I didn't notice it all day. Only reason I caught it was that I do my top-offs at night and when I checked the temp, I found it off the chart (86+ degrees).

I put some ice cubes in a freezer bag in the sump to bring the temp down (normal for my tank is 79-80) and I'm praying that I don't lose anything. I had just recently changed out my heaters as well for a new Hydor Theo model and it failed in less then 3 weeks. I think I need to go back to my old Ehiems, they've never failed me.

I think I'm going to introduce that heater to my nice heavy hammer. Work off a bit of frustration and deal some street justice!

What is in the tank? I think you should be fine. You may have actually done a bit more damage by cooling the water so fast. But in your case what you did was probably the best idea. Expect some hurtin' in your bio filtration though.

Back
Top Bottom