The "perfect" Temperature

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishFrik

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have been trying to find the ideal temperature for a SW tank but from dif. sources, i get dif. suggestion of a "perfect" temperature.

From a LFS, the owner told me temp. should be 77F
From another LFS, the worker told me temp. should be 79F
From a book, the temp should be 74 - 76 and 80+ is not suitable for a SW tank.
From a few ppls on this and other forums, the temp. can be 82 so maintaining it can be easier.

So, what is the "perfect" temp?

There is no "perfect" temp...perfect is what you can maintain in a reasonable manner. Studies being done show the oceans are warming continually.

I just wanted to know how to set my heater. So what's the advantage of keeping the temp around 80 instead of say 77

The advantage is this, IF your tank hovers around 80 degrees with the lights on....then by setting your heater at 80, you will not have a variance in temperature when the lights go off.
Whereas, if you set your thermometer at 77, the temp will be allowed to drop to 76 before the heater turns on, therefore allowing a 4 degree temp difference. That is why I said pick a temp that is reasonable to maintain instead of fighting it.

Wow, temp almost killed my BTA yesterday... All this time trying to find the "perfect" temp... UGH

Yesterday, it was 98 outside and my A/C was somehow set to 90. My tank was around 83, but i didn't even notice. I went out and bought 5G of SW to peform a WC (battling cyano), and it sat in the car for like 1.5 hours cuz i had to go somewhere else. So the 5G got really hot, but i didn't notice either. When i finished WC, my tank's temp was 86 and my BTA started to "melt" down. All other livestocks show no sign of illness. I didn't know what was happening. I thought the BTA was just doing its thing. About an hour later, i look at the temp and freaked out. I added ice, turned off everything except for 1 pump...

I tried to find the perfect temp while temp almost crashed my tank XD

I keep mine around 76 but as Mrs Hara said find what is reasonable and maintain it. Sounds like good advice

Here's yet another opinion to complicate matters. Eric Borneman's book says the average temperature of reefs around the world is 82 and that's what you should try to keep your reef at. The higher temperature increases the metabolism of animals from what I have understood. Of course, where your inhabitants come from is also an important matter.

Regardless, I think stability is probably the most important factor.

Think of the ocean. It generally has a range of temps, in direct sunlight, morining, noon, night, rain, clouds, winds and such. If you keep them within a certain acceptable range (you don't want to cook them or get them too cold), they should be fine. If you have a larger tank, the change in temp will be less gradual.

Mine stays between 78-81 from night to miday. I think that most livestock after acclimated to one temp range will be fine even though that temp range may be alot different from others. I have plenty of sps, lps, etc.. that are growing great at this temp, and it is alot easier to maintain especially without a chiller.

OK, i tried setting my heater higher (82) for easier maintaining and it seems like it's kicking up the algae growth. I now set my heater at 77. Let see what will happen.

anything from 77 - 82 should be ok, for the most part. I have had shrimp die at the temps higher than 82. I read somewhere that temps higher than 80 are bad for them.

Disolved oxygen in the water is effected by temp. The lower the temp, the more disolved oxygen the water is able to carry. I would guess that not only did the high temp stress your animals, but the drop in oxygen did as well. Temp will also effect other aspects of water chemistry as well.

If you have a deep water reef tank - low light corals, etc I would cheat it lower, to about 77. For high light corals that live real close to the water's surface in the wild, 80 should be ok, but I would avoid much higher than that. Stable temp is more important, a few degrees swing is fine, but you don't want it 83 during the day and 70 at night.

Yea, from a book i read, anything above 80 is bad for a reef tank. I dont know how come some people on this forum is keeping their temp at 82. I guess the book is old XD

I dont know how come some people on this forum is keeping their temp at 82.

Quite simply, because it works for us. You asked our thoughts, we gave it and now your implication is that we have no clue as to what we are talking about because we dont do it by your books method. When you have some experience, you will understand that there is more than just one "right way" to do things.

My tank stays at 82 and has for the last 4yrs. This is the temp I am able to maintain during the summer months so that's where I keep it. I've seen no ill effects.

Back
Top Bottom