Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-08-2005, 01:05 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

How about plugging in the pump before syphoning the U tube in the pre-filter? That was stupid! My sump ran completely dry in seconds, and my main almost overflowed.

Mike

Old 06-08-2005, 01:16 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

LOL... man... that's awesome Mike! I almost did that once!

Old 06-08-2005, 01:20 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Once is the key word. I never did it again.

Mike
Old 06-08-2005, 11:44 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok, I can play.

Christmas day. My entire family is over. I'm doing my dog and pony show for the brand new (2mo) tank that we have. My show piece. I'm showing my family how the fish just about eat out of my hands when I dump 1/2 a jar of sinking pellet into the tank. It *instantaneously* falls to the bottom while simultaneously blowing to the four corners of the tank getting under every rock, in ever crevice, etc.

I grab my husband and we begin an emergency water change (just happened to have the mixed water handy, thank goodness). I'm syphoning like made to get as much of it as I can. The hermits are fast and furious at work trying to clean up my *mess*!

It took a week of 30-60g water changes to fight off ammo that would top the charts in a matter of 5 minutes. The week culminated in one massive 90g water change while pulling each and every rock out of the tank, into a bucket of saltwater, shaking them out before they went back in. Finally the tank was stable again. Never saw a nitrite or nitrate spike with this.

Whew.

My other massively stupid moment (Shamefully I have more than one... why is it the rest of you only have one?!) was adding melafix to my main and not knowing enough to turn off the protien skimmer. That resulted in a dry sump with 10g of water sitting on my floor, dripping down to the basement!

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com