The Ultimate Reef Janitor?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

riptide

Aquarium Advice Regular
I found this article about a species of crab that lives completely in pockets of rainwater collected by specific plants in the tops of trees in Jamaica... Apparently they have developed a system of maintaining water quality including ph/calcium buffing and oxygenation.... Strictly freshwater species I assume, but maybe we should have our staff geneticist build us a species to take care of our tanks for us? LOL

"These very unusual crabs, which are the most terrestrial of any in the world, live in little pockets of rainwater inside bromeliad plants, which grow on the branches of tropical trees," says S. Blair Hedges, an evolutionary biologist at Penn State and a member of the research team. The tiny bromeliad crabs are less than an inch long and are thin enough to squeeze between the leaves at the base of the bromeliad plant, where rainwater collects. The researchers say these crabs are by far the most attentive mothers of all known crab species and the only ones known that actively feed and care for larvae and juveniles during the several months they spend in their rainwater nursery. "The mother crab manipulates water quality by removing debris, by circulating the water to add oxygen to it, and by carrying empty snail shells into the water to buffer the pH levels and add calcium," Hedges says.

WOW, i actually spent 4 months in costa rica and took an ecology class where we studied these plants. they're pretty sweet plants. i never knew that about the crabs though!
steve

Very intresting...

Not to thread jack but Smonkey15, where were you in Costa Rica, I went to San Jose', Jaco, and Tamarindo, Costa Rica is so beatuiful. Saw all kinds of cool crabs down there and some fish too.

i lived in Zapote, about 5 minutse south of San Jose but i was all over that country. i have been to jaco. i went also to arenal, isla tortuga, puerto limon, monte verde, and others but i can't remember. best experience of my life!!
steve

Back
Top Bottom