The Vanishing Watchman Goby and Pistol Shrimp Act

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vanphyre

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello everyone. :)

I added a Blue Spotted Watchman Goby and Pistol shrimp a couple days ago. They immediately went under my rocks, and I did notice the Shrimp digging out a little burrow. I have seen no sign of either one since. LOL, so glad I buy stuff that I can't watch :) The Goby is a pretty decent size too.

Nothing to worry about from what I read. I was just curious if anyone else has experienced the same thing. I want to make sure they are healthy and eating after thier release into the new tank. How often will they come out from the rocks? Do they come out under certain lighting conditions? i.e. Actnic, dark, full light?

Thanks!

i bought a yellow watchman pair that sperated after acclimation. after a few weks they found each other. my observations were this: when seperated, the goby didnt come out muych, the pistol came out durng feeding (i could see him in between with a flashlight). now that they are a pair, the goby comes out more and i havent seen the pistol. ive read that the goby will bring food and the shrimp will dig the tunnel (this is the relationship) so i havent worried much about it, especailly since th goby is out sooo much now. someone let me know if this is not the case...

Very cool info, thanks Vsnsofadrgn.

It's been roughly a couple hours since I posted, and sure enough they emerge from the rock. :) The Goby has half his body sticking out, and the Pistol just came out for a minute and I prob scared him back inside the cave.

Another funny thing, even though the Pistol Shrimp was hidden, I could tell he was hard at work. White sand was shooting up from under the rocks in the area that he is digging for like a couple minutes, partially clouding up that side of the tank. haha, that was pretty sweet to watch... picturing him inside digging away. :)

Back
Top Bottom