Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-22-2006, 10:39 AM   #1
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
The word from MACNA XVIII in Houston, TX

Well, I've made it to Houston. It was quite an adventure to getting here, but I made it. A few notes about Houston. It's hot and humid here...in the 90's. When I left Thursday morning, it was in the 40's. Hah. Gas is way cheaper than back home! The drive past the downtown area was amazing. I don't get to see high rises and such at home, so it was kinda cool. Saw all the sports centers and stuff on the ride. The Westin seems pretty nice, and the Galleria is huge, and I haven't even been inside of it yet. After Greys Anatomy went off last night, I fell asleep, was tired.

Anyways, today is Day One of MACNA. You can see the schedule here.

http://www.macnaxviii.com/schedule.php

I am looking forward to learning about Tridacnids (clams), and all the other cool stuff. Will try and update for those that couldn't make it.
Also, if you are here, feel free to update this thread!

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 11:14 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
After Greys Anatomy went off last night,
I got that bad boy (both hours) on DVR.

Have a great and safe time!!! Who else said they were coming? Thought it was few some months ago.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 03:29 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to FishFrik
You guys are coming to Houston to see MACNA...I live in Houston and I don't think I'm going :/
Old 09-22-2006, 07:10 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
If you take photos PM me and I will give you my private email to send them to. AA will host any and all MACNA photos taken by our members.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 01:38 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Well, the first day is officially over. I did learn some stuff. Here is a general oveview of the speakers.

Robert DiMarco

Robert talked about raising clownfish and how to do so. I'll highlight a few of his key points.
- Laying tiles in the tank will help immensley.
-The use of ozone has greatly improved his breeding success.
-He reccomends feeding breeding clownfish pellet food, and reccomends the use of feeding rings.
-A good way to make a habitat for your clownfish is to cut a piece of flower pot in half and then silicone a tile to the underside. Kinda like a half circle shape. Encourages spawning and gives a nice place to hide. Was a pretty neat idea.
-He showed a picture of a tank bred and wild caught clown with much darker color. Over a few months, the tank raised clown developed the much darker color of the wild caught clown. He mentioned affects on sexual maturity. I thought it was a cool observation.
-Warning: gold barred maroon clowns are actually white barred for a few months after birth.
-In regards to raising the fry, the use of green water (algae water) and zooplankton (rotifers) is THE MOST important thing. They need greenwater first, then rotifers.
- He also mentioned raising Isochhryis galahana(sp?) as a great food source, but one that is difficult to raise.
-It's important to aerate the eggs with an airstone after spawning and moving to a breeding tank.
-It is VERY important to clean the surfce that the eggs are being laid onto after each spawining. He showed a really cool picuture of tubeworm larvae/medusas that actually developed on the tile from not being properly cleaned in between spawnings. I never knew of that risk!
- Finally, he showed a bunch of cool pictures (that will hopefully be posted later) of the clownfish huddling together at around day 12 of life. It is an action to weed out the weak fish and keep in the strong ones. It was really cool to watch on video, but the pictures are cool too.

At the end of the seminar, he had a raffle for some of his tshirts, and woah! I won one. Also got lots of nice samples and shirts at the Trade Show. Lots of nice corals there too...I had to go visit the ATM, but haven't made a purchase yet...

And that's all for tonight. I will try and update tommorow, but am really tired.

As another note, Hara and I just got done hanging out on the 24th floor of the hotel at the reception. It was fun, we each got a free drink, and got to see a really nice view of the skyline and stuff.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img_0599_163.jpg (139.5 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg img_0608_103.jpg (52.9 KB, 16 views)

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Old 09-23-2006, 01:41 AM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishFrik
You guys are coming to Houston to see MACNA...I live in Houston and I don't think I'm going :/
You can always just get a one day pass. Even just a pass for the tradeshow. It's really cool to see so much reef stuff all in one place. If you have the chance to come, I think it'd be worth your time.

Old 09-23-2006, 01:30 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to Speakerman Send a message via AIM to Speakerman Send a message via MSN to Speakerman Send a message via Yahoo to Speakerman
I'd like to make a trip up there...I could probobly get some really cool stuff...and since only live an hour away...hmm....I wish I didn't have to work....
Old 09-23-2006, 03:04 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speakerman
I'd like to make a trip up there...I could probobly get some really cool stuff...and since only live an hour away...hmm....I wish I didn't have to work....

cough! cough!cough! ...ring,ring, boss? hey, I dont feel good, I wont be in today I have a bad case of MACNA.... Think it would work?
Old 09-23-2006, 04:02 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

I live in Houston and will be visiting the convention tomorrow. I just went to my LFS here and they said they saw some really cool stuff over there making it worth a trip. I'll try to post again after the visit. I unfortunately had to work today and will also have to work tomorrow so I won't be able to stay too long over there.
Old 09-23-2006, 06:34 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
DT and I have been in seminars most of the day, today was great for that. Unfortunately, there have been some conflicts in timing and we had to miss a couple that would have been very worthwhile.

Off to see some more!

You should make the effort to come down here if you are within driving distance for sure.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com