Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-25-2004, 10:22 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to yaksplat Send a message via MSN to yaksplat Send a message via Yahoo to yaksplat
Okay, if our tanks need certain wavelengths, then the question is, does it matter what produces them? With the bulbs tranforming the electricity to light and heat, wouldn't it make sense to use a bulb that has the highest light to heat ratio? With the amount of heat that halides produce, it seems like a lot of electricity is being wasted. I know that the three of us all live in NY, so we suffer from the same high cost electricity.

With this in mind, what is wrong with lighting a tank with LED's? If the correct spectrum is there, but there is no heat I would think that this could work. I'm not talking about 10-20 LED's here. I'm thinking an array of 100 or so, with a combination of white, blue and UV, all over a 55 gallon tank. If this would work, can you imagine how bright and low cost this would be? For about $110, you could have 1.2x10^6 mcd beaming down on your tank.

I guess i'm just trying to get the most bang for my $0.13/kWH

I'd like to test this out in a small tank with a low light coral, or just a small piece of LR to try and get coralline algae growth, or even algae for that matter. I know LED's are relatively new, but have they been tested with plants?

Jim

Old 02-25-2004, 10:40 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to yaksplat Send a message via MSN to yaksplat Send a message via Yahoo to yaksplat
I found these intersting:

http://www.thevospad.com/gallery.html

http://www1.msfc.nasa.gov/news/news/...tos03-199.html

There are plenty of articles online supporting LED's and cellular growth rates. This could be an interesting topic.

Jim

Old 02-25-2004, 11:03 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to Bang Guy
So Jim, what would a 20" X 12" panel cost me? And how much power would three of these panels consume? Can the shape be tailored for a bowfront?

I'm changing out my lighting in the next month or two.

Can you just pop out LED bulbs and swap them to change colors?

Do they come in the near UV like 420nm?

If so I would be willing to Guinea Pig a project.
Old 02-25-2004, 11:14 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

One more question. Can the panels be plugged into a dimmer switch? From what I understand LEDs are dimmable.
Old 02-25-2004, 11:47 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

It would take some R&D to figure out what it would take to get the correct color scheme. But for a rough estimate, you could figure $.75 for each LED.

I'd like TMN to chime in on this one. I know he knows how to dim using a 555 chip as a pulse generator.

The UV LED's have a peak wavelength of 395nm and the blue LED's have a peak at 470. With a combination of these 2 and white, I think a broad spectrum could be achieved. I have a few at home, but I haven't wired them up yet. I'll have to pick up a breadboard just for some easier prototyping
Old 02-25-2004, 12:02 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hi folks,

First off - Loganj - thx for the kudos.

Hey Jim and Bang Guy - I've looked into the LED solution - I think we have to wait a bit for higher intensity units to be available. The Spectrum is there (as jim pointed out, but they can be even of smaller wavelengths - i.e. hotter K's), in fact some Blue or white Light LEDs are in the 7000K to 10,000K temp range. But the output of these units is still very low in comparison to the level of light amplitude provided by a 175w MH.

I think we would need 1000's not 100's of these to even come close to the required output, not sure, though an experiment may be in order (yes Jim? )

I think our hope for this one lies in this company as they are on the fore-front of high intesity LEDs. They do manufacuter LED arrays but still their output I think is very low.

http://www.luxeon.hu/docs/emitter.pdf

Note the color temps for some of these (though I'm not sure about the CRI - Color rendering index) but surely the peak is in the right place. As a note for Bang Guy who was pretty interested in this, as you can see, LED's have no heated element, in fact they generate photons electronically and give off very little heat as Jim mentioned and yet their light output is measured on the Kelvin scale.

I've been watching for ways to get the extrodinarily high light output from LED's. Someone, a while back posted a reference to an article on this and I quickly did some research on it but only found theoritical stuff and forecasts for the next 5 to 10 years.

Anyway - like this thread - unfortunately, work beckons - chat soon.

Tom
Old 02-25-2004, 12:21 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Interesting....
Although their prices are waaaaaay up there, 200 euros for a 12 emitter ring. They advertise no UV in their emitters, but I believe that in our situation, we would like some.

The few moonlights that i have in my tank are rated at 2600 mcd. FWIW those are extremely bright. I can't imagine an array of 100, 12000 mcd, LEDs. The photon pressure alone should be enough to pin a fish against the substrate.

If you understood that one, thanks for joining me in nerdville
Old 02-25-2004, 12:25 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

After reviewing several sites devoted to LEDs this is pretty exciting. But I have to agree with Tom, looks premature. The LED Tape is REALLY cool stuff though!!!

My concern right now is corrosion. It looks like the emitters last a lifetime but I'm concerned about all of those metal connections in a high humidity warm salty environment.

Guess it's back to MH for at least a few more years.
Old 02-25-2004, 12:29 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

I thought of that when I did my moonlight setup. I have everything buried under a layer of silicone. The only thing that is exposed is the plastic lens.
Old 02-25-2004, 02:15 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

On most aspects of this hobby I pride myself in the fact that I have more of a grasp than the average person and try to pass it along when I can. But when it comes to light...I am totally clueless. I read the above post...wow...I'm confused and dont even know where to start. This is a topic that I'll be looking into more. Thanks for the info.

Squishy

175gallon reef

5,100 gal pond

Fish are people too!
SquishyFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com