theraputic copper dose

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MDChurch

Aquarium Advice Activist
Have been thinking of visiting a LFS in my area and just came upon a question? This store says on their website that they use a theraputic dose of copper in all of their tanks. Can this copper be carried by fish bought from them to my QT and/or DT by the store doing this? If they do this in all of the tanks in their store what do they do about copper intolerant inverts?? Really need some thoughts on this before buying. This store specializes in saltwater only and has been in business for years. Please, any thoughts or advice needed. Thanks in advance.:thanks:
MDChurch

they don't put inverts in their copper treated system. if in fact they do use copper on a regular basis, i would not think that they are very health conscious, but more sales conscious. the reason i say this is that i believe a steady copper treatment to be similar to a steady chemotherapy treatment to humans, just in case you get cancer...
i would not stop going to the store if their prices and selection were good though...after all, aren't all stores in this to make money?

na...it won't come into your home system, but please don't continue the chemo treatments!

Thanks for the quick reply. I kind of thought this was the reply I would get , but, just wanted to be sure. I have been setting up my 20long nano since early July and am in the process of stocking now. I have the clean up crew and a royal gramma in the tank now. All seems to be well and the gramma went through a QT for about four weeks and is doing great in the DT now. This store has a good reputation around the area and also has a very good selection of fish, inverts, and corals. Also keeps about 2000lbs.. or more of cured and uncured live rock available. Prices are with in range of anyone else in the business. He has tank raised clowns and I wanted to see if I can get a pair and that is all of the fish I plan to have in this tank. Going into corals over the next year or so. Thanks again for the reply.

MDChurch(y)

Back
Top Bottom